Epilogue

One Year Later

"Come on, slow-poke!" Snotlout called as he soared forward on Hookfang.

"Hey, don't call Bones slow," Melanie warned.

"Then hurry up," Snotlout chuckled.

Melanie rolled her eyes and muttered to the boneknapper, "come on, Bones, let's show 'em how fast you can really go."

Bones snorted and readied himself, then shot pasted Snotlout. Melanie laughed manicly as she faded into the distance ahead, shouting back in a mocking tone, "come on, slow-poke!"

"Oh, no you don't!" Snotlout grinned challengingly. The two dragons then began to race. It wasn't long before they came across a few familiar sea stacks. Their racing came to a hault as memories flowed back. Then, the island came into view. Berk.

Hookfang squawked happily as he slowed to take in the view of his old home. Even Bones let out a groan in memory. The two dragons landed on the edge of the abandonded village. "Woah, this place hasn't been touched," Melanie observed as she hopped to the ground. She smiled upon sight of her old hut and exclaimed, "look, my hut is still standing!"

Snotlout admired the village, a bittersweet feeling in his heart. Hookfang lowered his neck, allowing his rider to climb down. He watched Melanie race over to her old home with a smile and walked after her. "Yeah, everything's exactly how we left it," he agreed.

Just then, a roar escaped Bones's jaws. Melanie and Snotlout turned to see him take off and fly into the forests. "Bones! Where are you going?" Melanie yelled in confusion.

Snotlout frowned and called for Hookfang, and the two climbed atop the nightmare. "I'm sure it's nothing to worry about," he assured his love. When her arms fastened around his waist he spoke with determination, "come on, Hookfang."

The monstrous nightmare took to the sky and flew after Bones. But it wasn't long before the boneknapper was out of sight, disappearing into the deep woods of the old island. "You know," Snotlout muttered in surprise, "he really is pretty fast, when he wants to be."

Melanie couldn't help but giggle. They flew over the island until they spotted a patch of white bones through the trees. "There he is!" Melanie shouted joyously. Without warning, she jumped from Hookfang and shouted, "Bones!"

"Wha--Melanie!" Snotlout yelled. When he noticed that the boneknapper below was not moving to save his rider, Snotlout signalled for Hookfang to grab Melanie before she splatted to the ground.

"Hey, Bones was just about to swoop in," Melanie complained as Hookfang set her on her feet.

Snotlout hopped from his dragon and walked over to Melanie, speaking sarcastically, "you're welcome, for saving your life." Then, he saw the bonekapper behind Melanie. His eyes widened in realization, "uh, Mel? That's not Bones."

Melanie turned around to find a female boneknapper staring down at her. Two large nostrils puffed smoke into her face as the female sniffed her. Her pupils then dialated and she moaned softly. Melanie smiled and greeted, "well, hi." She reached out and pet the boneknapper on her cheek.

Snotlout stood with his jaw wide open, watching speechlessly. After a moment, he was finally able to speak his confusion, "what?!"

The female dragon glared at him and growled. But this time, Bones came in. He landed behind Snotlout and nuzzled him, showing the female that this human was trustworthy. Bones then walked happily over to the female and purred a greeting to her.

Melanie took a few steps back to let the two dragons say their 'hello's.

"Bones has a girlfriend?" Snotlout asked in disbelief.

"I don't think so," Melanie squinted her eyes and approached them again. Both dragons stared down at her, and she touch both of their snouts. With a smile, she shouted back to Snotlout, "they're siblings!"

Snotlout came over as well, "how can you tell?"

"See this bone on Bones?" Melanie pointed to a small bone fragments on her dragon's cheek. "It matches up with this one," she observed and pointed to the other half if the bone that was positioned under the female's left eye. Melanie then shrugged, "and their both obviously from a fractured human skull."

Snotlout gave Melanie a nervous look and wondered, "uh, why do you know what a fractured human skull looked like?" Melanie simply laughed and gave him a shrug. The two then made their way back to the village, letting the three dragons have their fun in the forest for a bit.

"I feel like I'm actually walking through my memory," Melanie remarked as they entered the vacant village once again.

Snotlout took her hand and smiled in agreement, "you're telling me." He looked down at her by his side, quickly adverting his gaze when she looked up at him.

With a curious turn of her head, Melanie questioned, "what is it?"

"I-it's nothing," Snotlout stuttered.

But Melanie had grown to know better than this. She smirked and stood in front of Snotlout with her hands on her hips, speaking in a sing-song voice, "you're lyyying."

Snotlout grunted in annoyance, but gave in. "Alright, so it's something," he responded vaguely, moving past her to keep walking. His heartbeat picked up speed; how was he supposed to do this if he couldn't even look her in the eyes?

"Does it have anything to do with why you disappeared with Hiccup last week for a few day?" Melanie asked knowingly.

Snotlout turned back around, half annoyed and half impressed that she'd guessed. "Hey, stop asking questions," he laughed.

"Then you'd better start," Melanie told him with a crooked smile; she knew exactly what was going on. Just like the twins, she didn't read far into things. But when something was obvious, it was easy to figure out. Especially with Snotlout's inablility to keep things secret long.

Snotlout gave her a look of shock, then quietly looked down at her hands. He took them into his and began to speak, "I love New Berk, it's probably better than this place and Dragon's Edge, combined." He paused and went on, looking into her excited eyes, "but this is where I met you. Where I found my best friend, where I fell in love.."

He slowly crouched onto one knee, but Melanie couldn't contain herself anymore. She squished his face between her hands and kissed him. "YES, the answer's yes!" She shouted, tackling him to the ground.

Snotlout gasped for air as she hugged him tightly. "You didn't..even..let me... Ask..!" He managed to squeeze out.

"Oh, I know, but you were taking so long!" Melanie let him go.

Snotlout stood back to his feet with her and held her arms in place by her sides. Peering down into her face, he finally asked, "Will you marry me, Melanie the Manic? Will you be my wife?"

Melanie stopped trying to wiggle out of his grip and simply smiled lovingly, repeating more calmly, "yes, Snotlout." Her heart fluttered when he leaned down and kissed her once again. He'd finally released her arms, letting them slide up his front. Melanie latched her hands onto his shoulders and kissed him without mercy.

And on their way back to New Berk, Snotlout couldn't stop staring over at her. Melanie. His betrothed. It would be the first wedding between a Berkian and a Berserker. Bones brought his sister back with them, as well, and she earned the name Fracture. Years went by, and the Jorgensen family grew. As did the love between Melanie and Snotlout.