7. Berk or Berserk

• • •

Snotlout was flying around the island in search of Melanie. Dagur was helping Hiccup with the twins now, which meant that she was out alone somewhere. Finally, he spotted her on the beaches again. Hookfang landed with a powerful thumping sound, and Snotlout jumped off.

"Hey, Melanie," he greeted. The sight before him was all too familiar; she sat, hugging her knees, watching the ocean breath it's waves in and out.

Except this time, she acknowledged him immediately. "Snotlout," she spoke in a soft tone, as if she were relieved he had come along.

"How'd it go with Dagur?" The man asked as he sat down in the sand beside her.

To his surprise, Melanie scrunched up her face, groaned, and punched the sand lightly. He wasn't sure what it meant, but it couldn't have been very positive. Finally she spoke, her voice sounding almost whiney, "he wants me to go to Berserker Island with him when he leaves tonight."

Snotlout felt his heart thud. But before he could say anything, Melanie ranted on, "but, I just met him. And I already have a home now. And I don't want to leave you guys. And Bones loves this island. And I just.." She trailed off, unsure how to express what she was feeling. So she simply pouted.

Snotlout wasn't sure what he was supposed to say. He didn't want Melanie to go, but he didn't want her to give up having a family again either. "I've always known..exactly what I want," Melanie finally finished her thought.

At this, Snotlout found himself doing something he hadn't even expected of himself. He put a comforting arm around her shoulders. To his surprise, Melanie immediately leaned into him. She buried her face into his chest and spoke. "Ugh, make it stop," she mumbled, voice muffled by his fur vest.

Snotlout couldn't help but chuckle at this. "Well, how about this," he suggested, "let Bones decide. He always puts your best interest first, right?"

For a moment there was silenct, then Melanie's muffled voice returned, "..that's a good idea."

"I can barely understand what you're saying," Snotlout informed her with an amused eyeroll.

Finally, Melanie lifted her face and laided lazily on his shoulder. Looking down at her, Snotlout was entertained to find her cheek squished against him, causing her to make unintentionally funny faces as she watched the horizon.

"I like this," she spoke in sudden realization, "this is nice, and fun, but a different fun; not like mass explosions and pitchforks fun."

Snotlout raised an eyebrow and laughed, "I'm glad I don't remind you of explosions and pitchforks." His tone was teasing, as usual, but Snotlout couldn't deny his racing heart. He hesitantly pulled her closer to him.

Melanie giggled as she felt her face squish even harder against his shoulder. Then, she suddenly sat straight up, energy written all over her face. "Hey! I never showed you this," she whipped out her soundless bone whistle. Turning her body, she draped herself back dramatically acrossed Snotlout's legs, then blew through the hollow bone.

Snotlout lifted his hands as she abrupty laid on him, not certain how to react. She didn't seem to have any idea what personal space was.

Not that he minded.

Withing the minute, Bones was on the beach. "That thing didn't even make a noise," Snotlout spoke in disbelief.

"It did, we just couldn't hear it," Melanie assured.

Snotlout let out a snort, "bet Fishlegs would love to write that down in his dragon book."

"You're right! I should tell him," Melanie agreed as Bones licked her face, making her giggle. She sat back up and spoke gently to the dragon, "alright, do we want to stay here? Or go with my brother?"

Bones turned his head sideways for a moment, then looked at Snotlout sitting beside her. The dragon sniffed him once, then made a short purring noise and nuzzled him. "Uh, what do I do?" Snotlout asked, hesitant to touch the dragon's head.

"Don't worry," Melanie laughed, "he's thanking you."

"For what? I didn't do anything for him," Snotlout paused to think, "..did I?"

Melanie smiled and responded, "yes." She then went on with a shockingly shy voice, "you've been looking after me very well. Usually Bones has to be with me 24/7 to keep me out of trouble."

A grin grew on Snotlout's lips as he finally pet the dragon's head. He felt honoured, a grin of pride groing on his face.

With a sigh, Melanie stood and place her hands firmly on her hips, "I guess we'll stay for now." There was a crooked smile on her face, revealing her joy about the decision.

Snotlout smiled back at her and spoke in relief, "I was hoping you'd say that." Melanie held out an arm and helped bring Snotlout to his feet. Once he was standing, he looked to where the sun was about to set and suggested, "you should probably go tell Dagur."

A frown placed itself of Melanie's face. "I hope he isn't too upset."

"It'll be alright, Mel," Snotlout assured with a not-to-worry kind of tone, "if he really cares about you, he'll respect your decision."