samtsirhc

[Check the end of the chapter for notes.]

Thank you, @Waterpolo_singer. Your Name - marittimam oram - is amazing and perfect for the story ! Your explination helped me understand and dedication is what fuels me to write. Now, on to the story!

" Mari.. " Her eyes shown with curiousity, and an innocence you missed dearly within yourself.
" We'll call you Mari. "

In the future, when she is older and can understand it, You'll tell her the meaning. She seems pretty entertained by just the principle of it now. Her hair was slick and silky when you pushed it back, face instantly lighting up once you spoke. She took the name into account for a good minute, tilting her head from side to side.

As if on beat, she let out a giggle, cute and hope-filled enough to rid your heart of all tension for a few seconds. " I lub it! " She pushed her head closer to your side, engulfing you into another hug. You sighed lovingly at your daughter, pinching her cheek.

She squeaked and moved around, earning a happy laugh for you. She's... She's perfect. If she is all you get in reparations from being trapped down here, you think you'll be just fine. A few minutes pass and you settle down, just staring off while she waddled around and played with random things - You've made it a habit, being in a cave for so long. Did you know, the human's peripheral vision shrinks to the size of the enviornment they're intrapped in? It's called tunnel vision. What a joke.

You went to tell your kid of the somber fact, and noticed she stopped moving or talking and wasn't facing you anymore.
You begin to worry again.

" Hey.
What's wrong? " You tapped her fin, biting the side of your cheek.

She made a fussy noise, not really responding.
"..... Are.. you thinking about Daddy? "
You turned her so she made eye contact with you, but she hesitantly avoided it.

"....No. "
" You know. . you can tell me anything, right? "

" Yesh. "

" Even if it makes you scared. "
Taking a deep breath in, you stood and held out a hand; soon, her small, webbed extremities clamped around yours. You could tell she felt protected around you.

" I want to show you your gift. Wanna tell me about the outside? "

She hummed a bit and swayed childishly, laughing a little.

" I shaw a fewww people, Daddy told me not to but I wantedta say hi. So I said 'Hii!' "
She waved her hands and talked real loud - in order to impress her mother, of course. You chuckled (goal!) and began uncovering something from a pile of clothes.
" That's great sweetie. "

Your words were now reduced to a whisper, a kid-like excitement hidden in your voice.

" Okeh. We gotta talk reaaal quiet. Can you do that, Mari? "

" Mari can do that. "

" Good.. " You took out a small jar, a little clownfish swimming around dully. You apologized for keeping him away from the water for so long, but he was nice and warm up here.

" Remember the fish I asked you to get, since you always saw him swimming around in the water alone? "

She nodded so hard she moved her entire upper body.

" I got him before Koi could take him. He is your buddy now. Name him? "

You passed the plastic jar to the girl, watching her press her nose against it.

" Woawww... two Names in a day. "
She loud out a soft "Uhhh" before pushing it arms-legnth away.

" E. "
" Just E? "