Chapter 1

The only sound in the room is my pounding heart, and my hands are damp from sweat. I close my eyes, maybe the foreign girl in the mirror will disappear if I try to calm down. Maybe it's my nerves that are creating something that doesn't really exist. I inhale a deep breath through my nose before letting out the air through my mouth.

I'm nervous.

So freaking nervous.

To be honest I have been nervous constantly for about a week now. I have had a hard time to eat and even sleep. My nerves have gotten the very best of me.

Nervousness is a familiar feeling for most people, but not for me. I have never had a reason to be. I'm smart and ambitious. When we get tasks to do in school I always make sure to do them the same night. I start to study for my tests and exams the second I know about them.

I have been the class's nerd for as long as I can remember and I have never had a problem with it. Until now. Or I'm not the one who have a problem with it now either. It's my family. They're getting tired of my behavior which I think is weird. I'm little Ms. Perfect. Perfect grades. Every opportunity to be whatever I want to be in the future. Isn't that what parents want? A daughter with high ambitions and a bright future? But it's not as if I'm studying all the time, I'm always making time to spend time with my family. Always. So what's the problem?

"You need to make some friends."

"Come out of the house."

"A perfect education isn't everything in life."

"You need to socialize more."

"Stop being such a weirdo."

"You need to loosen up."

And as the uptight weirdo I apparently am, I let my older siblings convince me to give me a total makeover that'll make me popular in 'no time at all.'

So here I'm standing. In my room, in front of my full body mirror. Staring at a reflection that isn't mine. This girl has straight brown hair while mine usually is wavy. Her face is covered in a thin layer of makeup which makes her eyes pop. I never wear makeup. Her hazel brown eyes are framed with a pair of black ray bans, a very nice pair of those and quite expensive too. Mine are like your usual geek glasses; old and big. And her clothes... her clothes. She's wearing black skinny jeans that gives the impression that she's going to suffocate at any moment. Her upper body is hugged by a tight and almost completely transparent top, which makes her curves more evident. I wouldn't call that a top, it's like another layer of skin, if that. A pair of blindingly white Converse keeps her feet trapped.

"Madi!"

The girl in the mirror jerks her head to the right at the same time I do and that's when it really hits me. Because now I feel. I feel how tight the jeans are, I have to avoid to breathe with my stomach. Inhale, exhale. That's how I'm forced to breath now. It's hard since I'm used to inhale... exhale... A stinging feeling in my face tells me that it's covered in something that doesn't use to be there. Butterflies are fluttering frantically in my stomach.

"Madi! Stop it or you'll ruin my masterpiece!" My sister, Karly scolds me, rushing over to my side and hits my shoulder.

"Ouch!" I rub the sore spot and glare at her but she ignores it. Her eyes are glimmering with pride and a wide smile is covering her features.

"You look gorgeous." She praises and my cheeks start to burn due to the blood that seeps into them. I'm not used to that kind of comments, I've never received one of them before. It's always: