Chapter 5

Ever since yesterday I've had a knot in my stomach. A knot that keeps getting bigger and tighter for each minute. Mr. Levy knows. He has to know or else he wouldn't have looked at me that way yesterday. He knows I'm the one who set off the fire alarm. In one way I just want to forget about the whole thing but at the same time I just want Mr. Levy to confront me and give me my punishment. What'd be the worst thing that can happen?

I can either get suspended or get detention. I shudder at the thought. No, I can't be either of those things. That wouldn't be good for my reputation. Pfft, what reputation? My subconscious haunts me. I mentally roll my eyes at her. What's good for your 'reputation' then? She continues. Just think about it. If you get suspended or get detention it won't be long until the whole school knows about it and then you hopefully won't be seen as a nerd anymore. That's actually true. Very true. This is exactly what I need. How crazy it might seem. I need to get suspended or get detention.

My outfit for today is simple, a peach colored summer dress together with my now usual white Converse. Karly only applied some rouge and mascara this morning. It didn't take long but during the short time she managed to bombard me with questions until my head was pounding. Yes. Literally pounding. She wanted to know everything. I'm actually surprised that it's possible to ask that many questions about what I've been up to these past couple of days. I'm starting to wonder if she enjoys this more than I do. When I asked her she just shrugged and told me she's happy that I'm someone now. I had just rolled my eyes at her and waited for her to finish applying the mascara to my eyelashes.

My shoes slap the pavement as I walk towards the school building and push the door open. I receive a few looks when I pass but it's something I've gotten used to the past week. The minutes tick by as I take my time to get my English books from my locker and head to the classroom.

"Ms. Johnson. Perfect." I clench my teeth and flutter my eyes closed momentarily as Mr. Levy's voice sounds from behind me. Goddamnit. My hand turns into a fist and I let my fingers sprawl as I slowly spin around to face him. I force a smile onto my face.

"Yes?" I ask and look at the man before me.

"I need to talk to you for a moment." He says. I know exactly what this is about. I move to lean against the wall to my left and hug the books close to my chest. He clears his throat.

"What do you know about the fire alarm incident yesterday?" Straight to the point – as usual.

"Not much." I lift a shoulder which makes him to press his lips into a thin line.

"I have talked to the janitor and he said you asked him to take down a non-existent ball from the roof five minutes before the alarm went off." He crosses his arms over his chest. I don't say anything.

"Ms. Johnson." His voice is quite harsh. I sigh and look back at him.

"What?" His eyebrows shoot up. It's clear that he didn't except that from me. I'm never rude. Or. I didn't use to be rude. He hurries to pull himself together again.

"Were you the one who set off the alarm?" I let my gaze drift to the window. I hear him let go of a frustrated sigh. "What's up with you lately?" I keep my mouth shut. "You've changed. Quite a lot." He pauses, giving me time to say something.

"What's happening to you?" His voice is soft and he places a hand on my shoulder which he quickly removes when I slowly move my gaze to it. "You can talk to me, you know that." I roll my eyes and sigh as he keeps talking.

"Was that everything?" I ask in a bored tone. Shock is evident in his eyes when he fails to get to me.

"Uh," He clears his throat and tries to get back to his teacher role again. "No." His voice is stern again.