one of a kind proposal

"i'm serious this time. i won't break, baby. i'll be the rock you can built on."

she stayed quiet and raised her eyebrows.

"shen yue, you've always said you wanted a big family. marry me and we'll build a family big enough to form a basketball team."

"hmmm.... but why do you get to be the rock we build on? can't i be that rock? i wont break either, you know."

"ohmygod. can't you let a guy have his big romantic speech, woman?! FINE. we can both be the rock on which we build this family."

"which is how it's supposed to be, anyway."

i sighed and rolled my eyes. this woman is gonna be the death of me, i swear.

"yes, yueyue. i was wrong. you are right. how dare i even suggest you lean on me during tough times."

she narrowed her eyes. and i knew i was gonna get an earful.

"are you giving me attitude, wang hedi?"

"because you are missing the point!"

"and what is the point, exactly?"

"are you gonna marry me or not?"

"if this is how you're gonna be once we're married, then probably not."

"you love this side of me: determined and won't take no for an answer. you said so yourself before!"

"did i? i don't recall."

and she shrugged. oh the audacity of this woman. here i am putting my heart on the line and she SHRUGS. why do i even bother asking her? oh right. because i can't live without her. and why is that? ugh love can be so strange and infuriating. she is infuriating.

"just say yes already!"

"is that what you want?"

"SHEN YUE!"

"WANG HEDI!"

"are you having fun?"

"so i can only lean on you during tough times?"

"WHAT?"

"just now. you said 'how dare you even suggested that i lean on you during tough times'. so i can't lean on you during happy times?"

"of course you can, yueyue. geez. stop taking everything so literally, baby. what is wrong with you tonight? are you okay?"

"i'm fine. just a little confused 'cause i don't see any ring."

"oh. OH. the ring."

"don't tell me you forgot the ring?"

"well ..."

"WANG HEDI ... you really are something ..."

and then she started laughing. uncontrollably. almost like a crazy person. i didnt know if that's a good thing or not.

for the record, i did not forget the ring. it's just not done yet. you see, i was planning to propose to her next week, on her 30th birthday. but due to unforeseen circumstances, the start date for my next project's principal photography has been moved up and i leave for new zealand tomorrow night. the thought of postponing the whole thing for 2 months until i come back is frankly, unbearable. i mean, i knew she was the one the moment i first saw her laugh way back when. and i had wanted to ask her to marry me on our first official date 3 years ago. which i did; which she brushed off as a joke. so here we are, 3 years later. i am not fucking waiting 2 more months.

"i did NOT forget the ring. it's just ..."

"here, i have a ring."

she casually pulled out a velvet box from her purse and opened it. i stared slackjawed at the matching his and hers rose gold diamond bands.

"what is this? why do you have tho- ..."

"wang hedi, you are one of a kind. and i think i have loved you since the time you've kept me warm and lifted my spirits up as we went through those freezing shoots of our MG days. we've taken quite the twists and turns to get here but i think we always knew we belong together. will you make me a better person and be my one of a kind forever?"

"what? wait. ARE YOU PROPOSING TO ME?"

"errr ... what does it look like?"

"but i'm supposed to be doing the proposing!"

"says who? society?"

i rolled my eyes in exasperation. THIS LITTLE WOMAN OF MINE I SWEAR TO GOD.

"besides, you already said your big romantic speech, can't a woman get a turn and say hers?"

"of course you can, yueyue. i'm just--"

"the idiot who proposed without a ring?"

"HEY. I DID NOT FORGET THE RING OKAY. IT'S--"

"still being made in the shop. i know. i saw the designs on your ipad and i love it. i love YOU."

i chuckled in disbelief. of course she knew about the customized ring. she knows everything. there's no hiding anything from her. i had long ago resigned to the fact that she would always win in this relationship.

"what are you smiling about, di? are you gonna marry me or not?"

"i refuse to dignify such a stupid question with an answer."

i pulled her into a kiss right then and as i felt her smiling into the kiss, i couldnt help but smile right back. scratch that earlier thought. she may have the upper hand in all our arguments but as long as i have her, i am the winner here. truly.

"way to steal my thunder, you infuriating little woman."

"whatever. i can't believe you proposed without a ring."

(19 December 2018)
-------------------------------

author's note:

this one is dedicated to incrrctmtrgrdn (again!). i told her i'm writing a fic inspired by the line "i'll be the rock you can built on", and her response was, "oooh who's gonna say the line? dd or yy?"

and that gave me pause. i was so ready to write a fic where dd proposed and used that line to convince yy to marry him but artie's comment made me stop and think, "why not. maybe i can turn it around and make yy propose instead."

and so i did. and the rest they say, is history. so this one is especially dedicated to artie (they all are, but this one is especially so), who has always been the biggest supporter of my writing in the fandom. i wouldn't have written one diyue fic if it weren't for her, let alone 15. thank you, artiekat. this fic! yy is all you.