him and her.

I saw her from a distance. she was sitting on the steps leading to the main house, lost in thought while feeding September, the deer. I bit back a chuckle when she extended her hand in September's direction without looking and ended up missing the deer's mouth completely.

grinning, I leaned on a tree and watched her for a few more minutes before finally moving my feet in her direction. my footsteps crunched in the snow and she turned her head with a start and a frown.

but as soon as she saw me, her eyes lit up with recognition and the frown was replaced by a bright smile that illuminated her whole face. she waved and my heart skipped a beat.

shit. I am in trouble.

I reached her and sat down on the rung below her at the other end of the steps. "hey, Yueyue."

"hey, Kido."

"whatcha doing?"

"nothing. just feeding September here."

"I see."

"yep."

"..."

I didn't know what else to say to her; what else I could say to her.

we had just met for the first time a few days ago but I felt myself gravitate towards her instantly. I discovered that we were both book worms and enjoyed doodling sketches for fun. I also realized that I liked looking at her when she laughed. she had a laugh that could light up the entire village of Arxan. 

so there we were, sitting in silence for a while with me occasionally stealing glances at her. soon, I saw the glazed look started filling up her eyes again while her hand continued to pet September. I wasn't sure what to do. should I call it a night and leave her to her thoughts?

truth be told, I kind of didn't want to walk away. i should say something then; try to get a conversation going. longer this time.

I cleared my throat. she startled and turned towards me. "did you say something? sorry, i wasn't paying attention."

"eh, no no no. i didn't say anything. sorry to have startled you."

"oh no, that's okay."

"so .... Didi, huh?"

her head snapped towards me so fast I was a little worried she might get whiplash.

"what? no. we're just friends!"

her flabbergasted expression was so extra that despite the clench in my stomach, I had to bite the inside of my cheek to stop a laugh from bursting out. her reaction was not completely unexpected, -- I had seen how they look at the other when they think he or she wasn't looking -- but I had thought perhaps I was reading too much into it. apparently I wasn't.

a little unsure, I searched her face for a beat before settling for a half smile. "I meant, you joined the show because didi, YOUR FRIEND, asked you to. right?"

her face relaxed a little and she smiled back. "OH. well, he didn't exactly asked me to. I got the offer to guest and almost rejected it because my company didn't think it was good idea. but Didi told me how much fun he was having here, and I was convinced to join in on the fun."

I nodded. "I see. so he tricked you into saying yes."

her eyes widened and she shook her head a little too vigorously. "what? no, he didn't. I'm not that easy to trick!"

"so you're having fun? cleaning toilets and all?"

she snorted and looked back at me, slightly amused. "not necessarily that part. although that's not too bad either. i dont know, i guess i just like the company. it's fun to do things together."