Let Her Dig Her Own Grave

I want to say thank you again to those that commented and left favs and included me on lists. They fuel me! I made this chapter extra long...tell me in the comments if you prefer the chapters to be like this or shorter than before, and if you enjoyed it overall!  

------------------------------------------------------  

Dennis cursed the others innerly while he walked upstairs, heading towards Dr. Fletcher office. If she found out what he, Patricia and the kid were planning, she could endanger his awakening. And so, now he had to visit their doctor masquerading as that stupid, loud-mouth and arrogant man called Barry. He hated his clothes, he hated his way of speaking, he hated his personality— he was his antithesis, and the fact that Barry was the one that banned him out of the light only made him relationship with that man even worse.  

He held back a smile as he knocked on the door. Now he was in control thanks to Hedwig, and Barry had to watch them do as they pleased as he screamed and wrestled in his chair. But there were times when he and his crew manage to take the light for a moment, something that upset Dennis immensely as it generated this kind of situations. He liked to have everything under control.

Shortly after, the door was opened by an elderly lady, with a gentle visage and warm gaze. 

"Hey! I uh..." Dennis started, making his voice sound much more high-pitched, much more joyful "I was inspired!"

The session went by just as he had planned. He walked around the room pretending to have an easy-going smile and attitude, starting to talk about his— Barry's— designs as he, cautiously, fixed the position of various objects.  The conversation went on as they talked about fashion and how consistent he had been on his job. Of course he was, he thought. 

Eventually, he stopped in front of the wall with all of Dr.Fletcher's diplomas and decorations. The woman realized then that he was strangely avoiding to look at her for too long.

"Did something happen, Barry?" His body seemed to froze for a second, instantly returning to his playful self.

"How old are ya?" He asked while turning to her, innerly trying to divert the attention. Barry would be bold enough to ask that, so he added a funny grimace "It's just the Internet is inconsistent on this point."

"Why is that on your mind?" She responded, frowning. 

"Who's gonna look after us when ya retire or...pass on?" he furthered, restarting his route across the room "Ya know, we're gonna have to take care of ourselves and nobody even believes that we exist." The man shrugged, pretending to actually care about it. 

"If ever something would've happened to me, I made arrangements with a college from Baltimore to take over."

Deep inside, Dennis knew that the doctor achieved wonders with Kevin and had protected him since the beginning, and for that he was grateful. But if something happened to her and as long as he had the light, he would avoid going to another doctor. 

He didn't want to be declared an unwanted personality again.

"Hey, you uh...ya live alone"? Surprising himself, he genuinely was curious bout it.

"You know this."

"Uhm, sorry, I just meant how long." Dennis grinned.

"Always" she chuckled, a bit surprise about his sudden curiosity bout her personal life. Dennis looked at her, frowning.

"That must be so lonely..." The man muttered, lost in his thoughts. 

In reality, Dennis was familiar with that feeling. He had been sitting in his chair for years unnoticed, unwanted. He was the eight borne, the one who protected Kevin when his situation was just too unbearable for the other first seven, receiving every one of the punishments and beatings her mother inflicted on him. And so, in order to protect him, he learned how shut his heart away from everyone.