Sweet Revenge

I had a home before. I really did.

Mother was in the kitchen cooking a big dinner for us. I just got home from school.

"Evening sweetheart!" Mother said.

"Hi Mother."

"How was school, what did you learn?"

"Insane word problems! I got smacked tons for getting it wrong!"

Mother chuckled.

"Oh those were the days for me. I used to get whipped everyday, I was a bad student!"

"What're you cooking?"

"I'm cooking a big meal for a special occasion. Happy birthday Lettie."

"Mother, you didn't have to go through all this trouble for my birthday."

"Dear, thirteen is a big important age. It has to be done."

I hugged her as she planted a kiss on my cheek.

"I hope your father doesn't come home drunk, you know what happens when he's like that."

Just then, Father came home.

"Where's my dinner woman?" He slurred.

Yep he's drunk.

"I just got it ready dear."

"Come on, we haven't got all day!"

Father took a seat at the table. She sat his plate of dinner in front of him.

"What the he'll is this rubbish?"

"Darling, it's roast and potatoes and bread."

"I was craving none of that."

Then, the fighting started.

"Dear, I just went through all this trouble to make this. You know how long it takes to cook a roast?"

"I don't want none of this woman! Go get me a glass of whiskey."

"Get it yourself, I'm through with you!"

He slapped her.

"I said go get me a whiskey!"

He picked a steak knife up from the table.

"Get me whiskey woman!"

Mother was cowering on the floor. He stabbed her repeatedly. I was crying, mother was dead. I got my steak knife and stood up. Father noticed me.

"What are you gonna do about it?" He slurred.

I had a mean blank look on my face.

"Why? Why Father? On my birthday!?"

He changed his attitude real quick.

"Lettie darling, I had no idea, I forgot!"

"You forget everything! Ever since you started drinking, you're never around, when you are, you're in a mood like you just had. That was my birthday dinner, you hear me!?"

I stabbed him as he was begging me not to kill him. I stopped, he was in pain from the flesh wound. I squat down by his side.

"I...I...Lettie...I'm sorry."

I stuck the knife in his throat, he was dead. I was sobbing. I ran out of the house as quickly as I could. I will be known from now on as a killer.