Chapter Four: I've Got a Theory--

"Can't things just be simple for once!" Nico shouted frustratedly, pulling at his hair.

"Uh," said Steve, rather intelligently. "What was that?"

"The Oracle of Delphi has delivered a prophecy," Thor informed gravely.

"That... doesn't sound good," Natasha said, her brows furrowed.

"It's not," Nico said dryly, "It's really, really not."

"It's weird, though," Will said, "That was a lot more direct than most other prophecies the Oracle's given."

"So, uh," Clint started, looking very very confused. "Is... is that normal for you guys?"

"Unfortunately, kinda." Will sighed. He sat upon the nearest chair, deep in thought. "We just need to figure out what it means-- I mean, as much as we can, anyway."

"I don't like the sound of seven," Nico said, "Not only because of the last Great Prophecy, but because there are eight of us here now."

"It's not the Seven," Will said, "Leo's dead."

"Uh," said Nico, "yeahhhh."

Will facepalmed. "Oh, gods. Well, Leo's definitely not here, anyway."

"Well, there is some good news," Bruce interjected "It said the New World, right? We already knew there was... activity in the Bermuda Triangle, and the prophecy narrows down our search radius. We just need to look into the historic New World some more."

"Mischief shall join the Avenging forces..." Thor mused. "If I had not seen Loki die, I would assume it was him."

"I, for one," said Clint loudly, "am glad it isn't. I don't think I could work with that asshole, like, ever."

"I'm assuming there's a story there," observed Will.

Clint grinned lopsidedly. It wasn't amused. "Oh yeah. You see-"

"Not now," Natasha chided elbowing him once again in the side. For extra measure, she rolled her eyes. After a pause, she looked to Will and Nico, her gaze questioning. "Do you have any idea who or what this 'violent anger and rash action' could be?"

"I... I hope it's not Ares," sighed Nico. Above them, out of nowhere, thunder rumbled, loud and abrasive and somehow offended-sounding. "Okay, not Ares, then. Yay!"

"Woah, wait. How can you be certain it's not Ares?" Tony asked.

"It is simple, Stark," said Thor. "That thunder was Ares responding to Nico. He seemed upset that one would even suggest such a thing in the first place." He cringed. "He has some strong feelings about such a thought, evidently."

"Which means he probably has some idea as to who this person--or thing-- is, and he doesn't like them-slash-it." Will added.

"They... the prophecy could be talking about the Hulk," Bruce offered softly. He didn't meet anyone's eyes, instead fixing them firmly on the ground.

Nico hummed, considering Bruce's words. "Maybe, but... I don't think so. It doesn't line up with anything else in the prophecy. It mentioned a Titan, too. Gods, I wish I remembered my Titans."

"We'll look into that, too," assured Will. "Surely we'll find something-- or someone, really-- that fits the bill."

"What about that 'two men out of time must face their lovers' bit?" Tony switched between looking at Nico and Steve. "What's all that about?"

"I... don't know. I don't know what I'd have to... face Will about." Unease settled in a heavy pit in Nico's stomach. He grabbed Will's hand almost absentmindedly, squeezing tightly. Will squeezed back, smiling assuringly.

"And I don't..." Steve trailed off as, suddenly, horror drained his face. "I-- I have to call--" Steve rushed out of the room, pulling his phone from his pocket as he ran. "Sam, tell me--"

But he was out of ear range before Nico could hear what he wanted this Sam to tell him.

"Sam?" Tony asked, confused. "Are... are Cap and Sam a thing?"

"No," Nat said, as though Tony were the dumbest person in the world. "He meant... " she paused, thinking, then sighed. "Forget it. It's for him to say."

Nico filed that away in the 'I'm definitely asking about that later' file rapidly growing in the back of his mind. He had half an idea, but... No. That would be impossible. Or maybe not. It's not as though Nico had looked... He shook his head. He'd think about all of that later. 

There was silence for a while, as the seven left in the room quietly pondered amongst themselves.

"Well," said Tony after a while, "Good talk, everyone, but I'm going to see if I can't narrow down the list of possible places the...Prophecy... could be referring to."

They watched as Tony left, ostensibly to some sort of research facility in the Tower.  No one offered any other insight, and so the silence carried until--

"If there is nothing else," said Thor, clapping his hands together. "Shall I show you two to your room?"

~*~

this is,,,, really short,,, but I wanted to get it out. And besides, the next two chapters are... pretty long. 

But UwU what's going on?! I'm giving some hints, ngl, and feel free to shoot theories at me (ppl who read the last version NO SPOILERS UNLESS ASKED LMAOOOO)

also i love the idea that Thor could understand what Ares was thinking/saying/yelling (they're all kinda the same thing w Ares lol) in the thunder lmao. Just *BOOOOM* and Thor suddenly looks very scandalized.

also the title is lowkey a reference to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Once More, With Feeling" (aka one of my all time fave BTVS eps lol). More specifically, the song of the same title. 

Anyway thank y'all for all your support so far! Hopefully the next chap will be up soon, but that depends on how fast I can write chapter seven lol

<3