Chapter Ten: GsFDI, [Redacted]

It turned out that Nico, Percy, and Annabeth recounting the stories of both wars, (and all the quests leading up to it for context), seeing as the Avengers were so mortifiedly curious, led to the superheroes present telling their stories (which lead to Nico wanting to throw a good few people into the Pit. Personally.)

It especially rustled his proverbial feathers to hear Steve and Natasha's quiet recountment of the corruption and fall of S.H.I.E.L.D.-- not because Nico cared about the establishment; he hadn't heard of it, nor was he particularly trustful of any government institution that thinks something along the light of this Project... Oversight, or whatever, would be anywhere near the arena of 'okay'.

No. What upset Nico was learning how, exactly, Bucky had been (forcibly) involved.

"How do you even know Bucky?" Clint had asked at one point during the story.

Nico stiffened. "Uh. So. You see--"

"What the fuck are you guys doing up?" said Tony, all but barging into Nico's cabin.

"Telling stories," Annabeth yawned. "Shut up and join us or leave."

He sat, and the stories continued. The nine of them sat there, exchanging tales, laughing and sharing their pain. It was odd, Nico thought, to open up to people so quickly and have them open up in return. He'd known these Avengers for a day, and yet... he found it easy to open up to them. Maybe some of it was because he saw how Steve trusted them, but...

He didn't know. But he was sad when their little talk circle ended nonetheless.

"Well," Percy yawned, "tough I'd love to stay and chat with you all some more, I think it's bedtime." Annabeth was curled on the floor, snoring, her head in his lap.

"It's two in the morning," commented Bruce tiredly, "so, yeah. Bed time."

"I'll take you guys to the Big House, help you find your rooms," Nico offered.

"Thank you, Nico," said Thor, who had just that night (morning?) started to call Nico by his name rather than 'Son of Hades', or '(the) young demigod'. "That is most kind. Now, shall we head out?"

"Hopefully the patrol Harpies don't get you," Percy smiled weakly at them, and picked Annabeth up, princess style. "Good night, nerds."

"Night, schist-head," Nico smirked back at him.

Nico led the Avengers across the moonlit grass, all of them quiet from sleepiness. Poor Clint could barely walk in a straight line, his eyes drooping only to snap open a few seconds later when Natasha pinched his arm. But, by some miracle, they made it to the Big House without the archer keeling over, avoiding the patrol Harpies on the way. A definite win. The Avengers filed through the doors, yawning their goodnights, and eventually, it was only Nico and Steve remaining on the dimly lit porch.

"Well," said Nico, awkward, "A word of advice: if you see Chiron with his tail in hair curlers... pretend you didn't."

Steve didn't answer him, not for a beat. "Oh. You're serious."

Nico nodded solemnly. "Many a young Camper has been scarred in such a way."

He and Steve laughed, together, and it was... nice. Awkward, because it was very clear that the both of them were starting to once again feel guilty for ever having felt anything but sadness, but nice.

"Nico," Steve said after a long silence, "When are you gonna tell them about Bucky--"

"Not yet," Nico said. "I... I don't know. It's not that I don't trust them, it's just--"