Chapter 5 and 6

C H A P T E R   F I V E

Unfortunately, Monique's worries about how she and Maire would get along came true. The child continued to live in a mime-like world of absolute silence, even when Nessa or Gram phoned to ask how things were going. Monique found life under these conditions either exasperating or spooky.

To her credit, Maire did all that was asked of her and went so far as to make sure whatever part of the house she'd been in was left positively spotless. It was as if she grabbed onto something familiar — a desire to bring order to her world — and let it run riot. But Maire was so withdrawn that when she was home, the house seemed haunted by someone who was there, yet not really present.

She remained glued to the Timothy bear, to the point of trying to take it to school. Foreseeing all sorts of trouble with teachers and mean-spirited classmates, Monique called for Gram's help and together, in a one-sided conversation, they managed to talk her into leaving it at home.

With or without the bear, school was a problem. After two days, Maire's teacher phoned to say the child had yet to speak a single word and trying to teach such a student was unnerving and difficult — especially when Nessa Fitzpatrick threatened to beat up boys like Terry Ryan if they didn't stop saying terrible things to Maire in an effort to make her speak. But the teacher was sympathetic to Maire's plight and promised Monique she'd keep working on her.

After a few more days of this, Monique decided to risk taking her along when she and Delores Flynn visited the Fallon home to make decisions about the house and its contents. Perhaps it was a little soon, but Monique was desperate to establish a relationship with the child and Delores thought this might work.

The two were waiting when the bus dropped Maire off after school. They led her to Monique's car, explaining along the way what was to happen, and were soon on the road. As the vehicle passed Magic Maple, Maire glanced almost longingly out the window. It seemed the farm, those fields and her Timothy bear were the only familiar things left in the world.

Inside the Fallon home, Monique's hopes turned to dust as Maire failed to answer a single question about anything. With a sigh of sad resignation, Monique suggested she and Delores leave the child alone and make whatever decisions they they could that day. A half-hour later, with a page of notes in her hand, Monique declared it was time to leave.

"No."

Monique blinked and stared at Maire. "Did you say something?"

"No."

"Yes, you spoke! Finally!"

"This is wonderful," exclaimed Delores. "We've been so worried about you."

"So, do you want to help us figure out some of these things?" asked Monique optimistically.

"No."

Her shoulders sagged. "Very well. We can do it another time. Let's go."

"No."

"I beg your pardon?"

"No."

"What do you mean, no? It's time to go."

"No, no, no!"

Monique glanced at Delores for a moment. Then her eyes narrowed and her approach zigzagged back to sternness.

"Maire, you've refused to help us so there's no point in staying. We're leaving...NOW."

"No! You can't make me go!" she declared, stamping her feet. "This is Mom an' Dad's house an' I belong to them so I'm staying here!"