Chapter 23 and 24

C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Theresa succeeded in spreading the word and, for a few weeks, Rita was the centre of attention in Guilfoyle. Even the revelation that Monique and Rory attended a parent-teacher interview together couldn't top it. Most folks had good things to say, with Bernadette Mitchell declaring it was about time Rita showed the world just how God made her. And Rita made it a point of agreeing with her in public.

Then the first snow storm of the season hit and everyone's attention turned to clearing driveways and negotiating roads. Maire arrived home from school and helped Monique shovel the StarWood driveway, although she would have much rather been exploring the forest behind the house. The evergreens back there looked like ghosts, she thought, and the delicate snow tracings on the birch trees were a work of art.

"Maire, you don't have to stop and clean off your boots every five minutes," Monique declared with a trace of irritation. She stopped shoveling, coughed a bit and said "Just wait 'til we're finished. Then you can make yourself spic-and-span."

"Okay."

Monique coughed again and resumed shovelling, though it seemed clear something wasn't right. Even her preoccupation with winter's beauty didn't prevent Maire from seeing it.

"You look a little funny," she commented when the job was finished and they were back inside.

"Funny?" Monique asked. She glanced in the entryway mirror and noticed her pale complexion. Then she let out a series of coughs that seemed to come from the depths of her stomach. It left her wheezing and holding her chest.

"Uh, I think I'll just sit down," she gasped, and sank into the living room sofa with visible relief.

Ten minutes later Monique was sound asleep, leaving Maire in a quandary. Should she wake her and ask about supper, or make it herself? Monique answered the question when a burst of hacking brought her back to consciousness.

"Ohhh," she moaned when it finally subsided.

Maire sat down beside her. "I'll make supper," she said soberly. "You should go lie down."

Monique knew Maire was still much better at cleaning up than cooking. But at that moment, she just didn't care. The strange feeling she'd experienced for the last day or so had become something more serious and, at that moment, she simply wanted to go to bed.

"Yes, that's a good idea," she said distractedly, then managed to add, "but don't make anything fancy. Just a sandwich for yourself, okay? I'm not hungry."

She stood up and tiredly made her way upstairs.

The next morning Monique's alarm clock sounded at its usual time, but it was Maire who heard it and got up. She tiptoed into Monique's study and found her still asleep, back turned and lying on her side.

"Monique, are you going to make breakfast?" she said quietly. Monique stirred and turned to the child, who let out a gasp. Her face was snow-white and covered in sweat. Her breathing was rapid and laboured and Maire could see her neck looked strangely swollen.

"Oh, you're not well," she declared, her face etched with concern.

"I'm...I'm sick," Monique confirmed. She coughed and tried to swallow, then winced in pain. "Can you...get yourself ready for school?"

Maire nodded. "Do you need anything?"

"A glass of water would be nice."

"OK."

Maire hurried downstairs and poured a glass. Then, before returning to Monique, she phoned Magic Maple.

Gram answered, prepared to ask who would be phoning so early in the day, but couldn't get a word in for the first minute.