Loss

September 4, 1984, Buies Creek, North Carolina. The best day of my life. That was the day, I had meet my best friend, Rhett McLaughlin.

We've been through everything together. First loves, heartbreaks, graduating high school, entering college, getting married, having kids, starting a career, any important moment in your life you could think of, Rhett was there for me, and I was there for him.

Well, the career thing was obviously us there for each other, because we started our own business. You may know it as Mythical Entertainment. We had our morning show, Good Mythical Morning, the show after the show Good Mythical More, our podcast Ear Biscuits, Buddy System, Let's Talk About That hosted by Stevie, our book, and our tour. We've won multiple awards because of those things.

But the thing that kept us going, was all the wonderful Mythical Beasts, and how supportive of pretty much anything we did. We also had each other, and that was the most important part. But that was all until tragedy struck.

On October 18, 2042, Rhett had passed away, do to a heart attack. Just one week after he turned 65. I'll be honest here, it's been a tough five years without him.

When he died, I quit doing GMM and all the other stuff we did, because I just couldn't do it without him. We were Rhett and Link. It was either both of us, or neither of us.

Today is the official marking, of five years since he's past. Around noon, I was the only one home, so I decided to visit Rhett's grave. I did this every year. And every year, it doesn't get easier, or harder.  

There was the tombstone. Here lies Rhett James McLaughlin. Oct. 11 1977-Oct. 18 2042. I bent down, just a little bit. Now that's the part that mainly gets harder every year. I'm old.

"Hey buddy. It's me again, Link. 5 years without you man. Boy, it's been crazy." I chuckled a little bit.

"This year, Shepherd and Kaitlyn had another baby. A baby boy. You'll never guess what they named him. Rhett James McLaughlin, after you.

"Locke got male athlete of the year. He mentioned you in his acceptance speech, how you motivated him, and inspired him to follow his dream. He's still playing for the Lakers, but thinking about joining Charlotte's team.

"And Jessie. She's a strong woman. Just beat another battle of cancer. She just got released from the hospital, and going to a nursing home today.

"We all miss you a lot Rhett, even my family.

"But don't worry brother, I'll see you soon."