Goodbye Brother

*1996~Bueis Creek, NC*

Was he mad at me? Did I do something wrong? Does he not want to be my friend anymore? Why is he ignoring me?

These questions rang through my head over and over agin, and I lay in my bed. Rhett hasn't talked to me in awhile. He's been avoiding me at all costs. When we walk past each other in the halls at school, he just ignores me.

But today at school, I got a note in my locker.

Meet me at the rocks tomorrow at 10, it's important
~Rhett

I wonder what he has to tell me. And since when did Rhett leave notes? Whatever this is, I hope after tomorrow he'll start hanging out with me again. I miss hanging out with him. I just miss him.
*********

I left my house after my mom left for work, to meet Rhett at the rocks. He was already there, sitting on the top rock.

"Hey, what's going on?" I asked, before getting on the bottom rock.

"Link, I have to tell you something, and it's really hard for me to do, but my family and I are moving to California."

"But, you're gonna be here for the summer, right?"

"Link, I'm not even gonna be here for graduation." He turned to look at me, with tears forming in his eyes. "My dad got a job as a law professor at the University of California, and they need him there next week."

"Next week?"

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. I just didn't know how to tell you all our plans for the future just got ruined."

"It's alright. You can't help your dad getting a new job."

"Are you sure you're gonna be alright brother?"

"Yeah. I'll always remember you, and all of our fun times together."

"Same here. I'll never forget you Link."

"So when do you leave?"

"Tomorrow morning."

"Okay. Why don't we make our last day together one we'll never forget?"

"I like that idea." We both smiled, and raced to the creek.

Throughout the day, we went everywhere we ever hung out. Reliving old memories, while making new ones. We both didn't want the day to end, but we knew it had to. Come sundown, we said goodbye, and went to our separate homes.

The next morning, my mom came in my room to wake me up, and said someone was at the door for me. I went down, and Rhett was standing in the doorway.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I asked him.

"You really thought I was gonna leave without a final goodbye?" He chuckled a bit, and so did I.

"Apparently."

"I had a lot of fun yesterday. I'll never forget any of it, or the past 12 years of our friendship."

"Me neither. I'll miss you Rhett."

"I'll miss you too. I guess this is goodbye."

"Goodbye brother."