Boundaries Part 5 (Short Story)

Boundaries Part 5

Months had pasted now and Joel was doing well back in the world. He had stayed out of trouble, gotten a job, and upkept his apartment. Days after leaving prison Joel made it a priority to visit Mike's sister Emily. She had been in tears and hugged him tightly and they spent hours talking about her brother. Both of them hoped and prayed that they would see Mike back in the world.

Everyone month Joel would go a visit Mike in prison. He was very happy to see that Mike would actually see him instead of turning him away like he had done to Emily. One day Joel decided that it was high time that Mike got a present in his life instead of only being exposed to the hardship of imprisonment.

Sitting in the uncomfortable chair Joel waited for when Mike would enter the visiting hall and sit across from him and speak to him. He didn't have to wait long before Mike entered and made quick work of sitting down in front of the glass between Mike and Joel. "Not tried of seeing me every month, Knights?" Joel chuckled and shook his head, "Nope, not like I have many friends to hang around anyways." Mike rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair with a calm demeanor.

"So what did you bring for me? You said last time you were here you'd bring me a gift," Mike looked over at Joel curiously. "Promise you won't get mad," Joel held up his hands in a defensive fashion which caused Mike to stare at him cautiously. Joel looked back towards the door that he had entered in and gave a nod of his head. With his approval the door opened, and a young woman walked in stalking over to Joel and Mike.

Mike's eyes widened considerably. Emily pulledup a chair and sat next to Joel with a delighted smile on her face. "Hey Mikey.How are you?" Mike was speechless as he stared at his sister. It had been fiveyears since he had seen her. He was amazed at how much she had grown. Realizingthat he was wasting precious time Mike shook his head trying to clear hisconfusion before lightly laughing. "Joel, when I get out, I'm going to kickyour ass," Mike looked up at Joel but there was no malicious in his voice, onlyamazement. Finally, his gaze found his sister's and he gave her the same smilehe always used that was specially reserved for her. "Emily we have so much totalk about."    

The End