Bloody Ankles Part 3 (Short Story)

"Stand up, Paulus! You'll never advance in your skills if you allow me to knock you down every time."

Paulus rolled his eyes as he clambered back to his feet. He didn't bother to swipe away the sweat on his brow; it would only collect more soon. Glancing over to his opponent Paulus extended his arm outward to stretch his sore muscles. 'Gods, she's almost as harsh as Abbott.'

Groaning, Paulus reached down to retrieve his forcefully discarded practice short sword. Across from him his opponent twirled her own wooden sword leisurely. Steel blue eyes so similar to Abbott's stared at Paulus with disdain, "I'm sorry did I hit you too hard, Pauly?" And so, the teasing begins.

Paulus' dark eyes glared over at the girl and bit out a growl, "Don't mock me Eris." Always one looking for a challenge Eris rose her sword and leveled it with Paulus' exposed throat.

"Don't make it so easy then, brother."

Fed up with his surrogate sister's belittling Paulus slapped her sword away from his throat and quickly jumped backwards to distance himself from her. His actions elicited a chuckle from Eris. "What would Father say about your retreat Paulus?"

"He'd say it's a wise decision when faced with a fierce opponent."

A deep baritone laugh filled the training room, "Correct you are, my boy!" At the double doors of the training room the looming figure of Abbott Elmsaul stood. Massive as always, but still keen and skilled enough to mask his presence without being detected. Paulus long had since stop questioning how Abbott managed to be so sneaky. After finding out Abbott's line of profession Paulus knew better than to question much; he simply tried to replicate the skills. Eris' posture straightened immediately upon the arrival of her father while Paulus' own posture remained as stock as before.

"A warrior should always know when they are out matched. With that knowledge they should be wise enough to retreat and regroup their plans," Abbott lectured as he walked towards his children. Clapping a hand over Paulus' shoulder and giving it a firm squeeze Abbott continued, "The wise fighter will be victorious even if they lose the battle. Strength and wisdom are not to be ignored."

Eris nodded at her father's words. She always loved to be praised for her skill and strength compared to Paulus'. Paulus glanced down to his practice sword with narrowed eyes. 'Strength and wisdom...'

Paulus tensed as Abbott removed his large hand from his shoulder. It was time to be completely serious. Abbott only ever interrupted training when he had a new mission that had to be attended to. Once his children were old enough to know of Abbott's particular set of skills they were given the choice to join him; which Paulus and Eris immediately decided to join their father when the time came.

While Paulus dreaded debriefings he always looked forward to a new assignment. It meant he could strengthen his skills and further his knowledge of the covert world that Abbott reigned over gracefully.

"Night is falling, my children. Ready yourselves. We will hide within the shadows and launch our attack soon," Abbott explained.

Eris bowed to her father and questioned, "Our target, Father?"

'Please no extermination. No extermination. Please...', Paulus pleaded within the safety of his mind. While he enjoyed his work he utterly hated when he was ordered to kill targets. Eris on the other hand had no reserves about ending other lives when her father commanded her to do so. Abbott had been in the dirty business far to long to have lingering emotions about those he slain. He simply did as he was paid to do.

"A small band of bandits that have cause neighboring villages much heartache. Their games end now, understood? Quick and clean. No witness." Abbott's steel blue eyes narrowed at Paulus. The piercing gaze spoke volumes to Paulus, 'Don't mess this up Paulus. Do as your told.'

"We will give them a swift end."