Bloody Ankles Part 2 (Short Story)

A pitiful yelp filled the air of the once peaceful garden. The beautiful crocuses were not disturbed by the painful yelp. They simply continued to sway in the light breeze. Another yelp was produced yet again.

Chubby hands grasp a hand full of dark brown hair. One would think Paulus' hair would be much less sensitive to the senseless tugging and snagging after all the years, but that seemed incorrect.

"Pawis up!"

Bright blonde curls and shinning green eyes of the youngest Elmsaul daughter stared up at Paulus. "Bethany I swear you'll grow wings one day, so I don't have to keep lifting you up," Paulus smiled teasingly at his adorable little pseudo-sister. She pouted and stomped her chubby bare feet.

"No no no! Want Pawis to up!"

Out of all three of his adopted sisters he favored little Bethany the most. She had basic needs and little attitude to give; well most of the time. Bethany loved Paulus greatly that it was difficult to pry her off his shoulders.

With a shake of his head Paulus rose from his cross-legged position and opened his arms to Bethany. "Alright, alright Beth. Up you go." Bethany fell purposely into Paulus' arms and her laughter was almost instantaneous. With a quick snap Bethany was thrown into the air just to fall and be caught by Paulus. Her laughter filled the entire garden, and yet again the crocuses were not disturbed but simply continued to sway.

After several tosses a voice broke through Paulus and Bethany's fun. "Shirking your training, Paulus?" With speedy reflexes Paulus snatched Bethany out of the air one last time before rounding on the new comer. Almost identical to the baby in his arms Paulus' eyes fell on his adoptive mother.

"Ah, I almost forgot. Thank you Mrs. Tera."

Paulus looked down at Bethany, "I've got to go train now, Beth." That pout appeared again and Paulus just knew that she was about to throw a fit.

Not waiting for her youngest to start a tantrum Tera made quick work of disconnecting her daughter from Paulus' arms. "Boy, I've told you time and time again. It's either mom, mother, or Tera. Not Mrs. Tera," Tera looked at him with a disapproving look. "Do well to remember it this time will you, dear?"

She'd been barking up that tree ever sine the night Abbott brought the ratty child home all those years ago. It seems old habits die hard.

Paulus gave his surrogate mother a crooked smile, "Of course, Tera. Next time."

Tera pushed her boy away with a smirk, "Go on before this little one decides to follow you. I don't quite want her lifting a sword just yet."

"Of course, ma'am."

Again that same glare appear, but Paulus was already gone before she could correct him. With a sigh Tera looked down at her daughter, "That boy, so troublesome."