Day 3: Dancing in The Dark

Prompt: Homecoming
Synopsis: Its prom night, members of the league, young justice and teen titans have gathered at the gala. It's all smiles for everyone.. everyone but Damian Wayne. His date was late... 7 years late by Jon's count.
A/N: I suggest listening to the song Damian plays when reading through that part of this fic.

Damian Wayne, youngest son of the Bat was once again alone. Standing by the sidelines, much to everyone's surprise. He's barely talked to anyone and hasn't eaten a thing since the night started. He was cold, colder than usual and no one could really figure out why.

Artemis with Wally, dancing like they owner the place, the Question with Helena, earning a few curious looks, hell, even Jaime found the balls to ask out Bart, the latter of which only responded with "That's totally crash", a smile on his lips as he kissed Jaime, before dragging him onto the dance floor.

Damian stood alone, arms crossed over his chest, leaning against a wall his pressed suit getting a few wrinkles. He hasn't danced with anyone tonight, and it's not for a lack of people trying.

Zatanna, Raven, Maya hell even Garfield asked for his hand on the dance floor. All of whom were immediately shot down by a blunt "No." And a "Fuck off." For beast boy when he wouldn't stop asking.

Jon made Damian promise he would be his first dance of the night. Damian obliged, honestly he wanted Jon to also be his last dance of the night, not caring to be with anyone other than him.

That promise is one Damian intended to keep, and so he waited. And waited. And waited.. and waited...

Unmoving from the spot he Jon agreed to wait for one another. Even as the rest of the guests left, and the ballroom went dark Damian wouldn't move a muscle. Kent wouldn't lie to him, Kent wouldn't break his promise! Would he...?

He kept his head bowed, arms over his chest, eyes closed tightly.  He would wait, he would listen, he would wait to hear Jon's voice to break the deafening silence.

Then he heard a voice, a voice that broke the silence.. albeit not the voice he was expecting.

"Hey- uh.. kid?" An old janitor part of the clean up crew- or well.. he was sum total of the clean up crew, said to him. His voice unsure.

"Get out." Damian demanded, his voice harsh and bitter. The man recoiled, grumbling something along the lines of 'spoiled brat.' As he left the room.

Damian slowly opened his eyes, his gaze moving from end of the room to the other. Looking over the messy white cloth tabe tops, the discarded glasses and plates streamers and confetti on the floor other clutter in the room.. hoping to see Jon there, waiting for him to spot him.

But Jon wasn't there.

Damian tightened his fist, as he felt his face contort into something almost no one ever saw.. a face only ever saw.

He felt a single tear drip down the side of his cheek, falling to the floor. Damian let out a pained growl as he turned and plunged his fist into the wall, cracking it.

Breathing heavily, he felt the rest of the tears in his eyes threatening to break as he fell to his knees. Tears began to stream from his face, mixing with beads of sweat as Damian clutched his sides. Wails of agony and whimpers of sorrow reverberated throughout the halls, filling the previously joyous gala with a sense of.... emptiness.

"I can't..." Damian managed to say, between breaths. "Why did you-.... Kent.. how could you..? After I finally opened up to someone.." Damian said, sounding defeated.

"No! Why did I... choose to finally open up?! Why the hell did I choose to trust.." Damian said.. tears streaming down his face as he grabbed lochs of his hair, tugging harshly on them "WHY THE HELL DID I CHOOSE TO LOVE." Damian spat like venom, before his furious growls turned to.. empty broken whimpers.