Chapter 34: Rock Stars Go All Out On Date Night

Kat

My dark angel is still torturing my lips and refusing my hips when the car comes to a stop and stays that way. We don't stop kissing. Trace has his arms wrapped beneath me, cradling me with restrained ferocity, but he's moving his mouth with mine so tenderly, so sweetly, it's like he's showing me everything he's feeling—love, fear, longing, pain, hope. A lot of love in the way his mouth meets mine. A lot of fear in the way he holds me. I feel my heart breaking for him—with him--and I don't exactly know why.

I think it must be what he said to Colin. He thinks he's full of aggression, like his father. I think he's afraid of his lifestyle, afraid that he might have a drinking problem, afraid of becoming his father, afraid of hurting me.

I'm not afraid of Trace.

I let him break my heart over and over with his ever sweetening, ever deepening kiss. Every part of me yields to him, synced to him, my hands tracing through his hair, down his shoulders and arms, up his chest. I think I'm successful in soothing him as he gently pulls me to a sitting position and places his forehead against mine.

"Kat—" he begins, his voice hoarse with emotion.

"I love you," I say simply. "I just want you to know. Whatever it is, making you so...careful with me—it's okay. I love you, and I trust you, and we'll be okay."

His entire expression goes soft in amazement. He looks so beautiful, but he doesn't say a word. I don't think he can. He's that overcome. He just folds my hand over his cheek and kisses my wrist tenderly. He stays that way, leaning back against the seat with my wrist pressed to his lips, while I use my other hand to softly stroke his hair. Finally, Trace shakes his head, and presses the button to talk to the driver. Trace tells him to drive around a few minutes. From the look of Trace's crotch he needs more than a few minutes. I feel like he's torturing himself, poor guy, but now's not the time for a crude joke. The charge between us is too intense right now. If we are ever planning to get out of this car, we need mundane distraction.

I repair my lipstick as Trace sips a red bull, and plays a game on his phone. I realize I haven't checked my phone in hours. I have several texts. Laurel saying that reporters came around to her house but she didn't tell them anything. Maddie says the same thing, and tells me AGAIN that she's not mad at me for breaking up with Colin, but that's she's worried about him because he's drinking a lot more than normal and acting like a jerk all the time. She asks me to please at least return his texts.

I text them both back, thanking them for not talking to the reporters, and telling Maddie that I'm not sure texting Colin will make things better, but I will try. I snap them a quick pic of me and Trace. I think they are both good enough friends not to screen shot it, and they don't.

I check my email. Nothing from my parents yet. I'm surprised, but with the time difference, I don't even bother trying to keep up with their itinerary. Maybe they haven't been in port yet.

Another text pops up from Colin. He's sent one every day since I broke up with him, and they get progressively more pleading:

Maddie told me you left town with Trace. That's crazy. I hate not knowing where you are, if you are ok. Kat, please just hit me back.

I sigh, just as Trace glances over.

"Should I be worried about Dickwad?" Trace asks mildly.

"Are you kidding?" I say in the same mild tone as I shoot Colin back a quick:

I'm in New Orleans. I'm ok. Just a little vacation. Be home in a couple of weeks.

His response is immediate: