𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐄

Song: Demons by Imagine Dragons

It always starts the same way.

Death.

🦋

It was gone.

It all went wrong so fast.

Metal bars bobbed up and down by my sides and in an act of desperation, I reached out for one, curling my hands around it and missed.

Again!

Blinking out the sting at the corners of my eyes, I kicked out at the waves and stretched out again, this time making contact with the smooth cold iron.

Yes!

Thrusting out my second arm, I managed to get my body up to stay afloat and took in the scene, lungs turning chilly at the sight.

'Dios.'

The majestic boat I was on just hours earlier, older than me, other than most now lay in pieces all around me, and just then the sky roared overhead reminding me of just who was in charge.

And how our lives could change like it.

I bit on my lower lip to stop myself from crying at my hopes plummeting down.

'Don't cry,' I commanded myself. 'Focus!'

I had to be strong.

The rain had become more intense, pelting me with hard stinging drops and my ears were filled with the screams of the sea.

"Help!"

Soon my vision was blurred as I tried with all my might swinging my arms to clean my face off from the impending rain.

"Someone please!"

My voice rang with urgency, and my eyes filled with tears as the sea swallowed me once more, my screams of terror muffled by the waters, the wind blowing at my anchor hard.

The metal started to become slippery, and with each rock I tried to hold onto it more, a small sob escaping my lips as the jagged edges bit into my hands, drawing blood into the sea.

'No,' I said to myself. 'I have to find her.'

Soon, the waters tired of my tribute and tossed me back into the watery depths, causing me to struggle back to the surface, focusing above me.

The moon was full and beautiful.

But I wasn't going to die underneath it.

With a renewed burst of energy, my arms out struck out once again to struggle to escape to the depths of the watery prison determined to live.

I wouldn't die today.

We wouldn't.

Every muscle in my body was taut even though I felt tired more than ever as I desperately gasped for air that I craved and looked around for her.

The last time I had seen her, she was holding onto the ship's wheel trying to regain control of the boat.

I stifled a gasp as the wheel bobbed up and down before me, the wood stained with scratches and cracks, no sign of her.

But that meant she was still alive, which meant I had to keep searching.

I had to.