Chapter - 21

"I'm guessing you, umm- found the Egyptologist?" Jasmine asked her brother once the group, including Daniels, had gotten into Jonathan's car for the short drive to the museum.

"Well, yeah, We did find him..." Rick said grimly, though the way he trailed off told Jasmine that they hadn't made it in time.

Jasmine shook her head sadly. "Why must they all die in such a horrid way, Rick?" she whispered. Rick knew it was not the Egyptologist she was speaking of.

Rick leaned back and squeezed her hand. "We can't do anything about it, can we? The only thing we can do now is to stop the guy from killing any more when we still have a chance."

"So now you've decided to stick with Evie and save the world, huh?" Jasmine asked, raising an eyebrow, quickly masking up her emotions.

"Uh-huh," Rick mumbled, casting Evie a furtive glance to make sure that she wasn't listening. "Gotta keep him away from her."

Ha! Jasmine thought triumphantly,  We might have a chance in fixing those manners of his with someone like Evie around! "You didn't like it when he kissed her, did you?" she prodded further, smirking.

Rick shifted uncomfortably. "Whatever" he muttered, turning his face away from her. He was saved from getting questioned even more when Jonathan pulled the car to a stop outside their destination, and Rick leapt out without even bothering to open the door.

Jasmine rolled her eyes as she opened the door to her side and climbed out, but, unfortunately, she did not pay attention to her surroundings and ended up tripping on the curb. She half-expected to fall face first onto the ground, prepared herself for the impact but instead, she found herself crashing against a certain someone's chest.

She blushed furiously when she saw who had come to her rescue. It was Ardeth. "I-I, Um-, Sorry."  she managed, her face bright red. He looked at her with a rather weird expression, as though he was trying not to laugh and keep his face straight.

Just wonderful, Jasmine. Nothing says attractive like tripping and falling on the guy you like. she sighed. 

Thankfully, he opted for a cough instead. Amusement was evident in his eyes and a smile threatening to break out on his face, no matter how hard he was trying to act serious. Jasmine's eyes widened with embarrassment, realizing too late that she had spoken her thought out loud. "You sure are clumsy, My Lady but Not that I mind you falling near me as long as I get to catch you every time." "You always do" She whispered looking into his eyes.

Jasmine looked around, flushing when she saw why he had changed the subject - the others were all staring at them with varying degrees of interest. Rick offered his hand to her. "Hurry up, Clumsy," he said teasingly, suggesting that he had overheard their conversation.

Jasmine batted his hand away with a "Hmph!", she hit him on his head with a book and quickened her pace, falling into step beside Evie. " Omph! Where the hell did you get the book from! "Rick exclaimed from the back. She just turned to look back at Rick raised a brow and smirked.

"So, uh, you have an idea as to how we can stop the creature?" Rick asked Evie.

The amusement in her eyes was evident, but she chose not to comment on the matter. "Yes, well, according to legend, the Black Book that the Americans found at Hamunaptra is supposed to bring people back from the dead," she began to explain, and Jasmine sighed with relief, grateful that she had changed the subject. "Until now, it was a notion I was unwilling to believe."