Chapter Eight

"What is up with you?" Chris asked, and Max looked at him in surprise.

"Nothing?" Max said, and Chris squinted at him.

"You're acting weird," Chris said. "It's kind of freaking me out."

"I'm not acting weird," Max grumbled, and Chris gave him an unimpressed look.

They were sitting on the school's front steps waiting for the first bell to ring, blandly watching the other students wander by, and talking about their weekends. Or Chris had been talking and Max had been zoning in and out, too distracted by daydreams for Chris to hold his entire focus.

"Sure," Chris sighed when Max didn't give in first. Chris let out a long breath, assessing his friend and Max stared back, trying not to look guilty. "So, you said you said you didn't break up with the Kevin guy."

"I didn't," Max agreed with a sheepish smile.

"You thought about what I said?" Chris looked a bit smug and Max snorted.

"No. Your advice was shit," Max looked away and Chris scoffed. "He may have kissed me."

"He kissed you?" Chris repeated, and Max glared at Chris for saying it so loud. They got a couple looks and Max glowered at them.

"Yes," Max hissed back.

"You mean you hadn't kissed yet?" Chris said, and Max frowned at him. "You guys have been dating for like a month or more."

"More," Max muttered, suddenly more embarrassed than elated. "So what?"

"So," Chris seemed to think better of his words. "I'm just surprised."

"What were you going to say?" Max asked, and Chris floundered for a moment.

"I just." Chris hesitated again, and Max scowled. "I think it's really nice that he's taking it slow with you. I don't want you doing anything you don't feel comfortable with."

"Jesus Christ, Chris," Max recoiled. "Shut the fuck up."

"I'm serious," Chris smiled now. "I'm glad you're with someone who respects you and your boundaries."

"I want you to stop this."

"I'm just trying to support you," Chris laughed. "Intimacy is a scary thing."

"I want you to never speak to me again."

"You love me," Chris said, and Max just glared so he laughed again. "But really. I'm happy for you."

"Thanks," Max said, softening up a little.

"And I want to know everything from now on," Chris declared. "I feel like you haven't been talking to me and it kind of sucks."

"You'll know everything important," Max promised with guilt bubbling in his stomach. Mostly everything.

"Now tell me more about this kiss."

"Not right now."

"You know, blushing like that over kissing is part of the reason why everyone thinks you're a prude," Chris snickered, and Max flushed a little.

"You're such an ass," Max grumbled, and Chris tilted his head in agreement.

"When are you seeing him again?" Chris asked.

"Saturday," Max said.

"What kind of stuff do you guys do?" Chris asked, and Max shrugged.

"A bunch of different junk," Max told him lamely, risked a look over. "Saturday we were thinking of staying in. Maybe watching some movies."