Chapter Ten

Offensive language warning with this chapter!

***

"Well hello," Eva said once she opened her bedroom door, raising a questioning brow at Max and Chris.

"Hey, Eva," Chris greeted her, smiling just a bit awkwardly. Chris had been friends with Max for years, but that hadn't really extended to Eva. Chris used to be scared of her when they were little because Eva yelled a lot.

"What brings you crazy kids to my neck of the woods?" She asked, noting that Max was still dressed like a girl.

"I was hoping we could talk," Max said, smiling a little sheepishly. "And maybe do some damage control."

"Well that sounds ominous as fuck," Eva said, looking very intrigued, and opened the door all the way. "C'mon in."

"Thanks," Chris said as he entered, looking around the room with fascination.

"What's up?" Eva asked, dropping to sit in her desk chair and Max sat on her bed. Chris stayed standing and closed the door behind them.

"Apparently Max has been dressing as a girl for months to date this guy he met while disguised as you," Chris told her, and Max held in a sigh because Chris was not pleased.

"I did hear about this," Eva nodded sagely.

"Yeah?" Chris raised a slightly accusing brow at Max. "That makes one of us."

"I see," Eva said before Max could retort. "And you're both here for couples counseling then?"

"Actually no," Max cut. "We're here because Shreya, Alex, and Bailey saw me out with Kevin."

"Ah," Eva said and looked at him with mild concern. "And what exactly happened?"

"We talked a little. They figured out I wasn't you. And then I booked it with Kevin," Max said, then hooked a thumb toward Chris. "And I stopped by to come clean to Chris 'cause I wanted to make sure he heard it from me."

"Better late than never I guess," Chris muttered but he went largely ignored.

"So this is what you meant by damage control?" Eva sat back. "Sounds fun."

"Oh, I'm having a blast," Max said sarcastically.

"Did you tell them why you were dressed like me or anything, or just run as soon as they figured out it?" Eva asked.

"Option two," Max said.

"Well, I don't think it'll be that big of a deal then," Eva said thoughtfully. "Since you didn't admit to anything compromising."

"Your big words don't impress me," Max whispered.

"I mean, it feels like a little bit of a big deal," Chris said, and Max hummed in agreement. "If those three know then they're probably going to spread it all over the fucking school. And as open-minded as our school claims to be, people are going to give Max shit for this. I mean...crossdressing is pretty odd."

"I can deal with it," Max assured him. He'd dealt with plenty of shit. Couldn't get much worse.

"But I'd rather you didn't," Chris grunted.

"I'm glad you still love each other," Eva said and they both glared at her. She laughed. "It really shouldn't be a big deal. Just tell everyone I dared you."

"Dared me?" Max trailed off.

"That's actually a decent idea," Chris said, surprised, and Eva was nodding.