Chapter Fourteen

"Bastien," Max's mother snapped, watching Bastien slip into the kitchen. "Please change your shirt. We're trying to make a good impression."

"Trying too hard," Eva commented blandly, not looking up from her phone.

"What?" Bastien gave her a look of exaggerated innocence and Max choked back a laugh at the much too tight Gay Okay t-shirt he was wearing. "I'm being supportive!"

"You're just being a shit," Max's mom accused, turned to place the garlic bread on the table and gave him an exasperated look. "That shirt doesn't even fit."

"Sure it does," Bastien grinned, flexing his chest so the fabric pulled even tighter across his chest.

"I can see your nipples," Eva argued, struggling to frown at him. "And your belly button."

"That's hot," Bastien informed her and Max couldn't help but laugh. Bastien sent him a wink, moving to sit next to Eva and Max was oddly touched that Bastien had kept the shirt- purchased days after Max had come out.

"Kevin isn't even gay," Eva told him and Bastien paused in his reach for the bread to squint at her.

"He's dating a dude isn't he?"

"That doesn't make him gay," Eva argued.

"I mean... it's a little gay."

"Bastien, you're going to be eating in your room if you can't behave yourself," Max's mother scolded, looking a bit frazzled, back to checking on the lasagna. "Don't test me."

"I am on my best behaviour," Bastien promised, absolutely beaming at her and she sighed, giving Max a look that he thought was apologetic.

"Kevin probably won't mind," Max assured her. As he had been the whole week when she'd been quizzing him about all of Kevin's likes and dislikes, food allergies, and preferences- determined not to mess up their first meeting. Max was doing his best to see it as sweet and not overwhelming.

Not that Kevin was fairing any better than his mother. Max was once again pulling out his phone to check the time, unable to help his fond smile at the conversation between himself and Kevin, abandoned ten minutes ago so Kevin could drive.

Kevin <3: Scale of 1 to 10, should I bring flowers?

Max: You don't need to bring anything.

Kevin <3: Feels fake

Max: Seriously. Mom will be happy if you just show up.

Kevin <3: K. if you're sure.

Kevin <3: Also, I decided to wear the dress shirt.

Max: You don't have to dress up! You always look good.

Kevin <3: Too late. It's buttoned.

Max: dork.

Kevin <3: I'm getting flowers

Max: Wtf. You don't have to do that

Kevin <3: Yeah but does she like lilies or tulips more?

Kevin <3: I'm feeling lilies.

Max: Kevin pls

Max: Kev

Max: I promise you don't need to get her flowers. She'll love you no matter what.