Room Thirteen 》l.h

Mom's dusty tird brown minivan had barely pulled to a stop before I threw the door open and stepped out onto the cement ground of the parking lot. Stretching my arms above my head I closed my eyes, letting the scorching hot sun beat down on my face.

"Luke!" my little sister Lucy whined, opening and closing her chubby little fists, waiting for me to take her out of her car seat.

Lowering my arms, I closed my door and moving over to her side of the car, removed her from her seat, placing her on my hip.

"My legs are killing me." My fifteen year old sister Lacy grumbled, climbing out of the backseat.

"Oh stop complaining." Mom chided, getting out of the car, "We're on vacation."

"No we're not." I replied, "You and Dad are on a business trip and you don't trust us so you dragged us along."

"Remind me why we don't trust you again?" Dad asked, shutting off the car and climbing out of the driver's seat, his pants wrinkled from the fourteen hour car ride, which was supposed to take ten however both my sisters had bladders the size of thimbles.

"Whatever." I grumbled, making my way to the trunk where Mom was unloading our suitcases.

"It's because you threw a party." Lacy snapped.

"Party!" Lucy shrieked.

"It wasn't a party." I defended.

"You got arrested Luke." Mom sighed.

"How was I supposed to know Kevin would bring drugs?" I argued.

"I never liked that kid." Dad muttered.

"So you've said." I spat, "A thousand times."

"I just think you could find better people to hang out with." He replied, grunting as he hoisted one of Lacy's three suitcases from the drunk, "Like that nice boy next door, Austin or Asher or....."

"Ashton." Lacy offered quickly.

"Yeah, him." Dad replied, "He's a good boy. Takes his siblings to school, mows the lawn, has a job."

"Why don't you just adopt him then?" I snapped.

"Luke." Mom warned.

Rolling my eyes I switched Lucy to my other hip.

"Let's try to have fun." Mom sighed.

"I'm sorry," I laughed dryly, "But my idea of fun isn't sitting in a boring hotel room while you two take pictures of boring shit."

"First off, It's not boring shit." Dad sighed, "It's houses, and second, don't say shit."

"It's a naughty word." Lucy informed me, grabbing my face so I would look at her.

"Whatever." I huffed, grabbing my duffel bag and swinging it over my shoulder before grabbing Lucy's Dora the Explorer backpack which weighed about as much as she did since it was crammed full of naked, nappy haired Barbie's.

Ignoring Mom who was giving a lecture on how my attitude dictated whether or not I would have a good time or something ignorant like that, I followed Dad into the hotel. The place was one of those really old ones with marble floors and big stair cases and fancy furniture.

The door was held open for us by a really fat guy in a button down coat, who was sweating so profusely he looked like he had just gone for a swim. Giving him a wide berth, I trailed after Dad, looking up at the high ceilings of the lobby, while he got the keys to our rooms, one for he, Mom and Lucy and one for Lacy and I. I'd learned from experience asking for my own room would just earn me a lengthy talk about money and how it didn't grow on trees, so I just dealt with it.