Chapter 41

Evelina pulled the phone out from under a newspaper and dialed Jimmy's cell. The phone rang and rang. Her nerves felt like they were bunching up and her heart was slowly stopping with each passing ring. After minutes of listening to the ringing and answering machine as she dialed and hung up the phone repeatedly, she set the phone down. She had a terrible feeling. What if he really was dead? She didn't want to think about it. She got up and walked back to the bedroom. She paused before going in. Her gaze caught sight of blood on the floor. She took a step backward and began following the trail. Her heart nearly dropped as she noticed a large amount of blood from there to the kitchen and other parts of the house. The realization of how much blood Joey had really lost hit her.

She went back to the room and walked up to the bed. Joey had his eyes closed. His breathing was so faint it was almost nonexistent. She stared at his paling face, laying a cool hand over his hot forehead.

He woke up to her touch. His eyes were beginning to grow bloodshot. He looked even more exhausted then just a few minutes ago.

"Are you feeling okay, Joey?" She asked him quietly.

He groaned and snapped at her. "Do I look like I'm feeling alright, Ev!"

She bit her lip. "I'm going to go and get you some help."

"No, Evelina!" He grabbed her arm as she started to get up, panic lacing his voice.

She looked back at him.

"I'm fine, really. I just had a weak moment." Joey tried to smile at her. He winced with every movement.

"You're not alright." She spoke quietly. The fear of losing him was setting in again. His condition was getting worse.

"Really, Ev, I'm fine. Don't get anyone else involved in this. Please. I just need to rest. We just need to wait for Jimmy. He'll know what to do." His attempt at reassurance didn't help. He knew he was lying to himself. He didn't want her to leave. He wanted to know that she was safe. Everything else was uncertain.

"Joey, you're going to die if I don't get some help." Her chin quivered with each word she said. Her voice was beginning to grow more frantic. "I just lost Zach. I don't want that to lose you, too. I'm scared!"

"I know." Joey said quietly, keeping his eyes locked on hers.

"No, Joey, I don't think you do!" She jumped back from him, waving her arms around emphatically. "I'm scared that you're going to die! I'm scared that Jimmy's already dead! I'm scared that Nakita might be dead! I'm scared that I'll never see Rose again! I... I'm scared that Davy's going to be back! I'm just scared, Joey!" Tears slipped down her face. She wanted comfort. She wanted security.

"Everything's going to be okay." He grabbed her arm, trying to calm her down, but his head felt like it was going to explode. His breathing was getting heavier and more labored, the wheezing from the warehouse had returned. He felt exhaustion setting in faster and was having a hard time staying awake. Even his mood seemed to be fluctuating. He wanted to be stable and comforting for Evelina, but the pain was bringing him to pure anger — mainly the result of not having answers.

Ev pulled her arm out of his weakening grip and backed up a few steps, just out of reach. "That's not good enough. I'm going for help, Joey. I don't want to leave you, but I'm not going to let you die either!" She fled from the bedroom.

"Ev! Evelina, don't!" He called after her, but she ignored him. He stopped yelling after her when darkness tried to overpower his mind and vision. He needed to conserve his strength.