18. The Road to Azcangor

"Drink it all, my dear," Rinna said, giving the potion to Aela. Some explosions resounded at a distance. However, Rinna paid them no attention, concentrated on serving her pupil.

The girl had woke up with an intense headache. The pair of wine cups she had taken the night before was just too much for her. She wasn't used to drinking liquor even less than the strong wine that she had at that tavern.

Tricia was famous for its many taverns and saloons, particularly along the narrow street known as the drinks' pathway. That is where sailors from all over came to drink and celebrate when visiting the city.

Tricia was the seat of the busiest port on the mainland of eastern Pelair. Ships from the islands of Isamar and Newfoundland, and from the distant continent of Antair, anchored on its roadstead to download all kinds of goods and spices and, in turn, bear Terrara's export products. These goods were then hauled to smaller vessels and taken to the rest of the kingdoms of western and southern Pelair.

The war had put a halt to that trade, and the port usually active and full of boats, looked now rather lonely and off. However, some deals still took place between Terrara and the islands located just north of the coast.

"Rinna, what happened last night?" asked Aela between timid and fearful.

"Don't you remember?" replied her guardian with a tender smile.

The memory of the conversation with that man in that tavern came to her mind. The reminiscence of an indescribable feeling in her mouth made her blush against her own will. The truth is that she now remembered with clarity, her mad attempt to kiss him.

"Did I go crazy last night?" she wondered to herself, feeling the blush on her cheeks would ignite into flames.

"So you do remember," affirmed with a curious smile Rinna, noting the blushing on the girl's face.

Of course, she remembered. Now she remembered everything. Two glasses of wine weren't enough to inebriate anyone. However, she had used it as a pretext to get closer to Brando.

The wine had disinhibited her so much as to make her think such madness might have even worked.

"What were you thinking, imbecile?" she scolded herself. "A man kissing another man?" How could I have forgotten?" she asked herself with her head bowed in shame, trying to evade the scrutiny of her mentor. She had full assurance that Rinna knew.

"Your time will come," said tenderly and with affection, the woman, getting closer to the girl and gently patting her head. She then put the girl's head on her lap and caressed her short hair.

"Oh, Rinna!" Aela sobbed. "How could I have been so stupid? What a shame! I hope I never see him again," she said vehemently, knowing she wanted the opposite.

"That's alright, child. Don't beat yourself," Rinna reassured her. "It was only an incident."

Aela raised her eyes to peep into those of her mentor to see if her eyes gainsaid the faint tone of mockery; she thought she detected in her words.

"Something is happening in the city!" expressed Balin alarmed, storming into the room to the grateful relief of Aela. That ended the silent inquiry Rinna subjected her.

The three stepped out on the little balcony that faced the street.

The lodge was located just outside Tricia, by the road that led to the south. It was a two floors old house with wooden roof and walls made of tree trunks lined one over the other.

"What happens at the port?" Rinna asked the innkeeper that came running from the main street.

"The Duke Galahar has risen against the king, demanding the reinstatement of Queen Miralia to the throne," said the man concerned. "Surely prince Herald..., sorry, King Herald" corrected himself the innkeeper "will send his troops. That means the war has finally arrived in our city," lamented the man. "Who would have thought, Terrara's fleet attacking one of its cities? May the Goddess protect us," pronounced apologetic the man.