20. The Encounter

Gertrudis had seen helplessly as Herald's guardsmen arrested Brannan during the disturbing incidents that had occurred at the Main Square of Tricia. Not knowing what to do or whom to turn to, she had gone back to the cove where she had accompanied the monks, hours earlier. They had said they would wait for the night to fall to sail from Tricia unnoticed.

"If I were you, I'd travel to Azcangor," had said Gus categorically to the woman. "The prisoners will probably be transferred to the capital of the kingdom. Tricia has raised in arms; thus, they can not be guarded here. Herald needs some scapegoats to set a precedent for the rest of the population. Surely, they would be prosecuted and executed in a public trial."

The monks, hence, agreed to carry Gertrudis and Toto to Azcangor, arriving in town a couple of weeks later. The monks in the monastery welcomed them in a measure of significant exception. The superior of the abbey was aware the travelers would arrive. He had been notified through the hawks from the distant Abbey of Kers of the mission the party had. It was their duty to render them all possible assistance. They were, however, surprised by the absence of the Prince of Kersia and regretted to hear of his arrest.

"Now what?" questioned Gertrudis. "What should I do now," she asked Gus.

"For now, just go out and explore the city," suggested Gus. "Listen and find out whatever you can," he commented.

Gertrudis was to approach the markets and meeting places where people gathered to see if she could obtain any information regarding the course of the war that suddenly broke out in the kingdom. This internal confrontation did not bode well. Having a civil war would weaken Terrara in favor of the ambitious cravings of Guildor.

She walked along the many streets that, starting from the largest market in the city, got lost in the countless twists and turns that ended in the docks.

"Hey. Aren't you Ael's travel companions?" asked Gertrudis, reaching to talk to an old woman she saw. She had glimpsed from afar that woman and her companion kid, recognizing her as the mentor of that girl.

"Gertrudis! Good heavens!" exclaimed Rinna amazed to recognize the strong woman, who was the accompanying escort of the young man that had awakened the heart of her ward. She just hoped that nobody, particularly the young himself, had discovered the feeling that had settled in the heart of her inexperienced girl.

"What are you doing here?" asked the big woman, "and where's the girl?"

Rinna got speechless and perplexed to find out this woman was aware of the secret of her pupil.

"Don't worry," tried to reassure Gertrudis, noticing the puzzled face Rinna had put. "He doesn't know, and he will not know from me," she pointed in turn, without revealing the name of her protégé. "However, I think we have much to enlighten each other. For a reason I don't know, it appears fate is determined to bring us together."

Rinna had no choice but to tell this woman what had happened to them on their way to Azcangor.

"She is undoubtedly in the same dungeons as Brando," commented Gertrudis, "That's where they take all prisoners of war."

"What can we do?" Rinna asked sorrowfully. "How could we get them out of there?"

"In such matters, we're working. We're doing something," repeated Gertrudis.

She refrained from any more comment. She did not know if she could trust Rinna. She had sworn to the monks to keep secret the plan the clerics were devising to free Brannan. However, she never thought she would encounter in that city, someone whom she could reveal it to. A hawk was to be sent to the palace's dungeons to scrutinize inside and try to find Brannan's whereabouts. Through one of those birds, they would try to get a message to the prince with precise instructions on how to escape.