34. The Clash

34. THE CLASH.

"Princess Aela disappeared, my lord." said the captain of the personal guard assigned to Aela. "Neither she nor the ladies who accompanied her can be found."

"Well, I am almost certain of knowing where they may have gone," Brannan said with a deep, long breath. "The events are forcing us to address Keralia, being we ready or not."

The council that had assembled in the throne room of Kiria had decided that the main army of the southern kingdoms would advance over Kersia, where the formidable forces of the evil twins camped, after successfully crossing Lake Azcara.

Agnees had built a fleet of log rafts with tree trunks. They managed to cross the lake to its southern shore, helped by an unusual current that flowed from Terrara, along with thousands of combatants who lacked a will of their own, and as zombies followed the orders of the witch.

"Their forces are far superior," said one of the captains. His scouts had informed him about the large contingent of enemy troops awaiting them, entrenched in the vast plains that stretched on eastern banks of the Ker River, which formed the boundary between the kingdoms of Kersia and Kiria.

"Yes, but we cannot allow them to cross the Ker river. That would put them within an arrow throw from Alkiria, and with it, the domain of all territories of the southern kingdoms," replied another captain.

"We don't have an easy task on hand," pointed Alarigo, "but if we strike first, we might have an opportunity."

All eyes turned toward Brannan, who, as the King, should now take the final decision.

"Say no more. It's now or never!" Brannan pointed determinedly. "The fate of all Pelair rests in this last battle. Let Ker and Xia, as well as Noor, help us."

***

The cold and gray dawn saddened the spirits. A dense fog covered the top of the mounds that from the edge of the Ker River rose and went deep into the plains of Kersia, forming gently rolling hills.

The horses snorted, and the steam expelled from their lungs, condensed at once to blend in with the natural fog.

An occasional whinny was the sure sign that someone was riding down among the dense fog.

"Try not to make a sound," whispered the captain of the cavalry squadron.

Brannan had wanted to take advantage of the foggy weather to try to surprise the forces of The Triad, who, relying on their superiority, had not bothered to put any surveillance. They depended on the early warning of the harpy eagles, which in turn were at rest due to heavy rains that had struck the region in recent days.

The flooded land and the mud made even more complicated the advance of the troops. Brannan, however, counted on this to try to surprise the enemy forces.

The raging waters of the River Ker presented an even greater obstacle to Brannan's plan, greatly hindering the passage of his troops and the war gadgets they had built to try to cope with their adversary.

More than half of the southern army had already weathered the tumultuous river, waiting for their captains' orders to enter in combat. They knew their fate, and that of their people was at stake this day.

The troopers wore light armors made of thick leather flakes and copper sheets, which coated the most sensitive parts of their chest, thighs, and arms. The smocks and breeches the soldiers wore barely protected them from the bitter cold. Almost all foot soldiers carried a long spear and a shield of wood and leather, with sharp swords and daggers hanging from their belts. They covered their heads with leather helmets with copper flake reinforcements.