28. Alkiria

"How does it look? Alarigo asked Brannan, who peered at the activity of the besieging army through a spyglass.

A week had passed since the events that had reshaped the fate of the kingdom of Kiria. A new order of government had emerged almost from nowhere, and even though it was too early to ascertain what its road map would be, at least it had served to unify with a sense of belonging, all the forces that made up the army of the so-called Southern Kingdoms. Before that day, they had had no choice but to follow a foreign leader, although an impostor, if just because he was the only one who had stood to an even greater threat represented by the Triad. It was Vonegh's ambition that had caused this invasion. It was not enough for him to hold the crowns as king of Kersia and Kiria. He yearned for the possession of the territories beyond the passage of Orhún, the natural limit of the southern kingdoms with their powerful northern neighbors.

"The truth is not very encouraging," Brannan said. "Take a look," he added, handing the spyglass to Alarigo.

"They have at least three times more troops than we do," commented Alarigo with concern, seeing the great army that besieged the city. Kiria's forces consisted of about eight thousand men, the remains of the legions who had faced the armies of The Triad a week ago. Almost that many had perished in battle. Agneer did not collect prisoners, as did neither Vonegh nor Alarigo.

Urgent posts had been sent to Kersia and other neighboring regions, with the hope to recruit more men. The news that Vonegh no longer governed and in its place, a young man had claimed rights to the throne, could perhaps encourage deserters and fugitives from Vonegh, to join in defense of their country.

"Why hadn't they attacked yet?" asked Ayrina puzzled and distressed, while handling some food to the men who planned the defense of the city. They were in the tower to the northwest corner of the wall, from where they had a panoramic view of the plain where the attacking army had stationed.

"It's tough to know my lady," answered Alarigo in a courteous and considerate manner.

He had noticed to his regret that she had eyes only for the newcomer who had claimed the crown of her country.

"He'll have to earn her first," he thought. Although it was not his fault, he felt some envy and jealousy about the luck of his former son in law, who in one day had become monarch of two realms and involuntary, getting hold of the heart of that beautiful woman.

Despite being much older than Ayrina, Alarigo hitherto had not lost hope to marry the woman with her full consent. In times of Vonegh, he could have forced her if he had wanted, but that was not his desire. It had been many years since his heart had not felt that sort of thing for a woman. He had managed, though, to hide it from her as well as the others. This sort of feeling did not match the reputation he had had to build as an arbitrary despot. That had been necessary to remain in the realm of Vonegh's confidence. That had been the only way he had found to prevent this ambitious man, from invading his relatively helpless Duchy. Knowing now what he had done to his daughter, he deeply regretted having not acted with resolution. Now he would have to compensate for all that somehow.

"What chances do we have" asked Ayrina again with fear.

"It won't be easy, but we still have the advantage of the wall to defend us," replied Brannan. "There must be around twenty thousand combatants out there, and I'm sure that witch would not mind losing half her army to wipe us out.

"What if she found out that Vonegh is no longer in charge?" asked the Venerable from the Council of Elders, who was also present.

The Council had taken Vonegh's death and Brannan's claim to the throne cautiously. The tradition was that the kings of Kersia and Kiria should have the consent of the Council to be crowned. That was merely a gesture of submission to Ker. However, with time, that tradition had acquired some relevance and now formed part of the ceremonies of a coronation. Not having The Council of Ker's approval meant that Ker would not welcome that reign, with the consequences this could bring.