Chapter One

Even after all these years, Bianca still drove the rust bucket she called a car. It was like nothing had changed on it. There was still a spider web crack across the windshield where a pebble managed to hit. The rear end sagged slightly, just as Kady remembered. Seeing the disappointment of a car shouldn't have brought relief to her but it did.

It'd been almost eight years since Bianca and she had last seen each other. The summer before college was crazy for both of them. They promised to keep in touch when school started but it never happened. Kady was too busy finishing out her internship at a nearby hotel and Bianca immediately began the process of taking over her mother's salon and spa. Life happened, and they went their separate ways.

Until now. Bianca must have been shocked to see Kady's number appear on her phone only days before. To go that long without contact, one would be super intrigued as to why they were all of a sudden trying to get back in touch. But for Kady, it was for a very good reason.

One look into Bianca's caramel brown eyes as she ascended the porch and Kady collapsed into her arms crying. For a while now it had been all too much and there was nobody Kady trusted to lay it on except for the one person who said she'd always be there for her and vice versa.

"Oh honey," Bianca sighed. Her hand went to Kady's back and began rubbing it like a natural mother. Pretty on spot considering she has a three-year old she'd been raising on her own since she found out about him.

"I know, I know. I'm always the one that's poised." Kady wiped under her eyes, hoping that her makeup wasn't smeared. Although that is the least of her worries. "It's the hormones."

Her old best friend put an arm around her shoulders and turned her towards the front door. "Come. Tell me all about it over some delectable chocolate."

They entered her house, the one her parent's put the down payment on for her. She had only seen them once or twice since their big blowout when she was still with... him. Now she was struggling to keep up with the payments o the mortgage and then there was the sink in the downstairs bathroom that wouldn't stop clogging. She missed her parents but her pride kept her from reconciling with them.

Five minutes later Bianca and Kady were nestled up on her plush loveseat, one of the comfiest items of furniture in her home. In their hands were pieces of dark chocolate which Kady would gladly eat up now that she always felt hungry. She eyed up the glass of wine Bianca held loosely in her hand. ­­­­

"Now," Bianca sipped her Pinot. "Spill."

Kady took in a large breath. The betrayal was still fresh inside her and the way Bianca's eyes soften at the action, she could see it too. "I met Daniel at a bar..."

...

Two hours later should have ended in tears and puffy eyes but instead the girls were snuggled up against each other looking at Kady's first ultrasound from a few days ago.

"Your baby looks like a blob." Kady slapped her arm lightly and then rested her head on Bianca's shoulder. For the first time in a long while Kady felt at peace. She didn't have to worry about judgement or other's opinionated glances.

Bianca continued. "Honey, you'll rock as a single mom. You're like, a powerhouse of a woman and that baby will be lucky to have you as their mama. Plus, I'll be here!"

Kady was more than surprised when she found out that Bianca only lived a mere twenty minutes away in the town over. I guess neither of us strayed far from our home roots. She thought. She had no problem with it though. Once she got over the humiliation of what has happened to her and broke the news to her parents, she would have more people she could rely on.

She hopes.

As said before, her parents are good people. Knowing them, they'll be angry at first. Angry that Kady could be this reckless with herself and her life. They'll distance themselves for a little bit before accepting the fact that it is what it is.

That Kady was pregnant with the child of the man who abandoned her. That never really loved or cared for her.

"Can you stay over tonight?" Kady asks. Thinking about her unfortunate predicament has made her think about everything else that will follow it and ultimately scares her half to death. Right now, Bianca was her lifeline and it felt like if she left she wouldn't ever come back.

That's how it seemed to be for Kady lately.

"I wish I could but Georgie is at home with a babysitter and not my brother." Kady's heart sinks, but she understands. What Bianca's life is right now will be Kady's life very soon. Bianca, too, had the father of her child walk out on her when he found out she was pregnant. Luckily, she had a brother who meant the world to her and helped her through everything. She said to Kady that if he wasn't there for her, she probably would have done some things she would end up regretting.