Chapter Two

Chapter Two

First thing Kady wanted to do now that she has her life semi back together is fix things within the parameters of her job. Her supervisor wasn't too impressed with her behavior and lack of action lately, yet hadn't said anything about it to Kady. More than likely she heard through the hotel grapevine about what Kady was going through considering she was in a staff bathroom when she took the pregnancy test that ended up confirming her worst fear.

She stopped at the door to Ms. O'Ralley's office, took a deep and not so comforting breath, and knocked on her door.

As usual, the woman only uttered one word from behind the doors, "In."

Saoirse O'Ralley was a woman to be reckoned with in the hotel industry. Daughter to the famous Devon O'Ralley, she was the heiress to one of the greatest hotel chains in the greater South East coast. She took over his business right out of college so he could enjoy the rest of his life in retirement. At age fifty-seven, Ms. O'Ralley looked quite well for her age. She never married but that didn't stop her. She was married to her job and that was all that mattered to her. Since she took over the family business, she expanded their reach by sixty-five percent and changed her status from a millionaire to a multi-billionaire.

Yet she still managed to come into work each day donning a tracksuit from a regular clothing store you'd find at the mall. With bright red hair and pale freckled skin, and wearing that tracksuit, one could laugh at the small lady. Yet all of her four-foot nine frame could take down a bulked-out man. After that one incident in '99, she wasn't taking any chances and learned to defend herself.

"Kady Hannigan, what a surprise." Even though you couldn't see her face from behind the giant computer screen, Kady knew her boss's eyebrows were furrowed and her lips pinched. Lately, even though she hadn't been very present, Kady found that Ms. O'Ralley was determined to beat others from around the world in online poker. She certainly had the money to do so.

"Good morning Ma'am." Kady fiddled with her finger, uncertain what to say next.

Ms. O'Ralley's head popped up from behind the computer, cat-eye glasses perched on the edge of her nose. "What have I told you about calling me Ma'am." Even though they moved to the states when Ms. O'Ralley was barely five, she still had that lilt of Irish in her voice. "It's O'Ralley or nothing. Now, what is it you need dear?"

Kady took a seat in front of the massive desk. One of the biggest desks she'd ever seen. And all for a little spitfire of a lady. "Look, I know I haven't taken initiative lately but I've been going through some stuff-"

"I'm going to stop you there," her boss cut in, "I know about your shit-show. I know about your man running like there was fire on his heels when he found out about the bun in the oven. The maids in this place aren't exactly the quietest. I swear, it's like being at a salon every day. Nonstop gossip I'll tell you." O'Ralley placed both hands on the surface of the desk and looked Kady straight in the eye. "You're a strong women Kady. Most would let this ruin their lives, their careers. But you didn't. You were close though and you know it too. But you didn't let it happen. So now I'm going to say this. Get back up, back on your feet, and keep moving. Use this to motivate you. Use my words to motivate you. Before all this happened, you were on the right track to being right where I am, at the top of it all. You know I never had children so take this seriously when I say that you are possibly the closest I have to family besides my father."

Kady had no idea. The women always seemed so drawn in. She never went out other to her private yoga class and rarely attended any functions. Kady only interacted with Ms. O'Ralley when she needed to swing something by her for approval or input. Never did Kady think that she could be like that for her boss.