Chapter Three

Chapter Three

The rest of the night Kady seemed to be too cowardly to even look at Taren in the eyes. Her hormones were in overdrive and seeing his athletic build didn't help them either. Instead, she took the time to get to know Bianca's son, Georgie. And he was just the sweetest little thing ever. He already knew his manners and had the best smile a kid could have. She swore the kid was an angel even when Bianca told her that he had his temper tantrums from time to time.

"I rough him up a little when he gets fussy," Taren had said from the other side of the room, lounging on the sofa. Kady didn't acknowledge him even though she saw him wink from the corner of her eye.

Kady got to see one of these famed temper tantrums when Bianca refused to let him have a few more bites of pie. It seemed he was getting overtired and it was time for them to head on home. On the way out Taren placed his hand on Kady's shoulder, stopping her from going with Bianca and Georgie to their car on the street.

"Are you okay?" He asked her when she turned around. "You seem... I don't know, upset?"

Kady immediately went on the defense. "I'm tired. I haven't been sleeping well lately and frankly, it's none of your concern."

Taren reared back as if she slapped him. His eye brows rose up a notch and he looked at her intently for a hot minute before stepping back and letting out a breath. "Alright. My apologies." He stepped around her on the porch and made his way to his own car behind Bianca's. She and Georgie waved at Kady as they drove off, leaving her once again, alone.

She suddenly felt the need to cry. Cry and eat chocolate at the same time. The thought made her scoff. This pregnancy was making her already fragile state of mind almost like cracked glass. Anything else could set it off and it made her shudder in disappointment at herself. If Daniel saw her like this he would laugh. She always seemed so strong around him but now she was realizing that it wasn't strength, it was the need to impress him, to stay at his level of intensity and ambition.

She had to let go and go back to the girl she was before him. Kady didn't need to impress anybody and she needed to remind herself that more often than she cared to admit. Daniel had done some damage on her, and it would take a while to reverse it all.

...

Over the next few weeks Kady stepped up at her job. Mostly to get back into the swing of things, but also to show Ms. O'Ralley that she wasn't letting anything stop her. The odd lady told her to grow from this whole ordeal, so Kady was doing just that.

Or, at least, trying to.

Trying in the fact that Bianca and she were spending time at each other's homes nearly every week. Kady even watched Georgie for a couple hours one night while Bianca went on a date with a colleague's brother. It seemed to go well for her, because she asked Kady to watch Georgie again the next week. At least she was having positive results in her love life.

Kady was as hormonal as ever except she was also in serious need of some sexual attention. Her body ached for it and it had been nearly four months since she had sex with Daniel. He cut her off from it all when she told him about the baby and then left a week later without so much as a goodbye.

Needless to say Kady was tempted to pick someone up she was so horny. But her pride prevented her from doing so. She was raised to be a classy woman, and classy women did not find random men at bars to sleep with.

Still, it didn't stop her from glancing at the men in the hotel where she works from time to time. She could window show, but she wouldn't go and buy anything as her mother always taught her.

Ms. O'Ralley must have seen how wrought-up Kady was one day because the minute she walked into Kady's office she began ranting.

"Oh, dearie Kady what did I tell you?" Ms. O'Ralley placed a hand on her hip and wagged her finger at Kady. "Just because you're pregnant doesn't mean you need to stay celibate. A woman has needs and you definitely need a lass to help with yours!"

"Ms. O'Ralley," Kady hissed. She looked around her office as if the empty space could judge what words were just spoken. Kady had her own assistant who had a desk outside her office and probably couldn't hear anything happening inside. But Kady was still paranoid about it all.

Alas her boss shrugged and continued speaking. "I'm just saying, I never got married but I still had my fair share doesn't mean you can't too. You're a grown woman and you can jump whomever you please!" She laughed. "When I was your age I was such a wild young lady I'm surprised I didn't get pregnant!"

Kady winced. This was not the type of conversation she wanted to have with her superior. The lady might be borderline kooky but still, she was lacking a filter between business and leisure talk.

"Ms. O'Ralley I'm really not comfortable speaking about this," Kady lamented but to no avail, her boss waved her off.

"Pish posh! You're still hung up over your last guy and you need another to get over him so get out there and do it!"

Something landed on Kady's desk and slid across it. She had to scramble to grab it before it fell onto the floor. When she managed to snatch it up she saw it was an AmEx card with Ms. O'Ralley's name on it. "I don't understand?"

"If you want to nab a man or the night, you need some self-love." Ms. O'Ralley pushed the card back into Kady's hands when she tried to return it to its rightful owner. "No, I'm insisting dearie. Now I'm telling you as your boss that you're free for the day. But as your friend," the kook winked. "I'm telling you to go, get your hair done, get a massage, a new outfit. Whatever you need. I want results by Monday!"

Before Kady could protest again the woman was gone with the slam of the office door. Kady didn't know if she should ignore the weird lady or take her advice and have a girly day out on the town. After a minute of contemplation, albeit tense internal warfare, Kady pulled out her cell to call her partner in crime.

Hey guys! I know it's been a while and I'm sure this is quite a different story from my Shadow Dancer or Frost's Touch books so any constructive criticism or inputs would be great! I will try to respond if you comment but if I don't, rest assured I did read it and put it to the test! Thanks and hope you enjoy She and He!