5

Weeks passed and Eleanor and Jacob's friendship grew closer. He was with her almost every day and called on the days he didn't manage to visit. Claire and Lily loved having their Uncle Jay around more than usual. Eleanor didn't know what to make with the free time she had when the girls were with Emily. She found herself spending that time with Jacob, talking and playing games and overall enjoying herself.

Eleanor didn't go to the wedding. Seth had offered to be her date, strictly out of friendship and kindness, but she felt awkward going to a wedding when she didn't know the bride or the groom. Instead, she stayed in La Push and spent the day with Jacob on the beach. Claire and Lily were with their father for the day. Eleanor didn't know what to do with herself.

"How are you doing?" she asked, glancing at Jacob. They were walking on the beach.

"Fine," Jacob answered. He offered her a small smile. "Bella made her choice. It was hard at first, but things have gotten better. A lot better. I feel free now."

"Good," Eleanor said with a half smile. She bumped his arm with her shoulder teasingly. "You should. You can do better than her."

Jacob was quiet for a moment before he stopped talking and turned to Eleanor. "Can I try something?"

Eleanor furrowed her brow. "Try what?"

"I know you don't want a relationship," Jacob said. Eleanor could barely make out the rushed words. "And I'm not asking you out or anything. I just want to try something. Then, if you never want to talk to me again, I'll leave you alone."

Eleanor nodded slowly, still highly confused with his sudden change in demeanor. Jacob seemed nervous, which wasn't usual for him. He was always so sure of himself and confident in what he did and said. She stood, waiting and watching, while Jacob looked around as if searching to make sure they were alone. Then he placed a soft hand on her cheek and his dark eyes showed an emotion Eleanor had never seen from anyone. She couldn't even put it into words. Before she knew what was happening, Jacob bent and kissed her lips. His were soft yet urgent, as if he was afraid she would leave him forever, and pleasantly warm. They brought out a feeling in her she didn't know existed. Her heart sped up, hammering in her chest. She wasn't sure what was happening until after she did it.

Jacob was surprised when Eleanor stood on her toes, one hand over his that held her face and the other resting on his chest, to kiss him back. He hadn't been expecting her to. He hadn't been expecting anything from her, really. He just wanted to know how her lips would feel on his. He couldn't hold back anymore. The urge to be with her was too much. Butterflies crowded his stomach and his heart sped up as Eleanor kissed him back. He tangled a hand in her hair, deepening the kiss and pulling her against him. Eleanor's arms wrapped around his shoulders. Too soon the kiss broke and they were both breathing hard.

"Wow," Jacob whispered.

Eleanor blushed and looked down. The kiss with Jacob had sent sparks flying for her. It made feelings deep inside her grow that she'd never known were possible. She could still feel the ghost of his lips on hers. "Wow."

"I, uh," Jacob stuttered. He had no excuse for what he'd done. He'd just wanted to see if anything happened, though he still hadn't told Eleanor about the imprint. He was attracted to her more than he'd been attracted to anyone. Jacob hated the way his thoughts about her twisted in his mind and his imagination ran wild with images of her when he knew she just wanted a friend. He pulled in a breath to clear his head of the dirty images. "I should probably tell you something."

"You didn't like it?" Eleanor asked dejectedly. She stepped back, out of his arms, and let her arms drop to her sides.

"No! I loved it," Jacob promised. He sat in the sand and pulled her into his lap without thinking about it. "It's not the kiss."