20

Pregnancy wasn't easy for Eleanor. She had intense morning sickness for the rest of her first trimester and into her second. Jacob felt horrible because he didn't know what to do to help her. He hated to see her so sick. The prescription vitamins Carlisle gave her had helped a little, but not much. She could only keep down small, bland things like toast. When they weren't at home, Jacob made sure Eleanor was resting on the couch while he was talking with Seth or Leah. When her third trimester came closer, she began to feel better and was able to keep more down. Carlisle was happy with her progress, and gave her comfort in telling her everything with the baby was going well. It wasn't until she was nearing the end of her pregnancy that she decided she couldn't wait to know if it was a boy or girl.

"Jacob?" Eleanor asked groggily, feeling around their bed. Her hand was wrapped in his large warm one quickly.

"What is it?" Jacob asked. Eleanor felt the bed dip as he sat with her. "Do you feel sick again?"

Eleanor shook her head. She rubbed her eye with her free hand, waking up a bit more. "No. I thought you were gone."

"I was downstairs," he answered. "Rachel wanted an update."

"Oh," Eleanor mumbled. She smiled when she felt Jacob caress her swollen belly and the baby kicked at his hand. "Baby recognizes you."

"You think so?" Jacob asked with a small smile.

"Of course," she told him. "You're the daddy. I think she recognizes our voices, and it helps that you're so warm. I think she can tell the difference."

Jacob's smile grew. He leaned down and pressed a kiss to her stomach. "I love you. Daddy won't ever leave you."

Eleanor smiled. She stroked her fingers through Jacob's short hair, his head on her chest and his hand stroking over her exposed belly. "I don't think I can wait anymore. I want to find out if she's really a girl or not."

"If that's what you want. You have another appointment today," he said quietly. Jacob wasn't sure if he was ready to find out quite yet. "Carlisle has everything at the house still, from when you got really sick."

"How's your sister?" Eleanor changed the subject. She shifted in bed and sat up a little more.

"Paul proposed," Jacob groaned. He flopped over onto his face, laying against her lap. "He couldn't stand being outdone."

Eleanor giggled. "Be happy for them. Rachel is good for him. He's calmed down a bit since she came home, hasn't he?"

Jacob murmured incoherently into the blanket. He was still for a minute before sitting up. "Are you going to shower today?"

It was Eleanor's turn to groan. She was happy about their baby, but she hated the way her body looked. She felt fat and horrible about herself, and she couldn't see anything near the glow everyone said she had. At this point she couldn't even see her swollen feet anymore. "Do I have to?"

Jacob sighed. "Come on."

Eleanor nibbled on the granola bar Jacob had brought her before she had him help her out of bed and to the bathroom. She avoided looking in the mirror until Jacob turned her around and stood behind her.

His voice was low, his lips near her ear. "You're beautiful, Eleanor. I wish you saw what I see when I look at you. I'm the luckiest man in the world to have you."

Eleanor blushed, tears prickling at her eyes, while her hands rested on her belly. Pregnancy had made her more hormonal and emotional than she already was. She blinked quickly and tried to clear the tears.

"Oh, honey," Jacob cooed. He wiped the tears from her cheeks. "Don't cry."

"I just love you so much," she blubbered. "You're too good to me."