12

Shortly after Bella woke up, Edward took her to hunt. Eleanor chewed her lip, holding Renesmee in her arms while Rosalie found something new that would fit the child. Jacob and Seth stiffened while Rosalie gently worked the baby into the clothes. Eleanor could only imagine that meant the new vampire was back.

"I want you to go wait in the other room," Jacob said in a low voice, pleading with her rather than telling her to go. "We'll come to get you when we know it's safe."

Eleanor nodded. She wrapped her arms around Jacob's waist and hugged him tightly, resting her cheek against his chest. She savored his warmth before they kissed and she left the room. She heard Jacob and Seth go outside to greet the new Bella, but couldn't hear the words that were being said. She sat as still as she could, fidgeting with her fingers and chewing her lip anxiously. Eleanor was grateful when she could hear Jacob's voice again and knew he was okay. It didn't ease her anxiety much, though. She didn't get a chance to meet the new Bella right away.

Things took a turn for the worse when Bella found out about the imprint. She was furious. Eleanor watched from the window as she dragged Seth outside and yelled at him, only to find out about Renesmee's nickname and yell some more. She shoved at him, only for Jacob to jump in the way. He landed hard against a tree and Eleanor gasped in horror, rushing from the house to get to him.

"Jacob!" Eleanor shouted. She fell to her knees next to him, her hands fluttering around as she didn't know exactly how to help. "Jake, are you okay?"

"Jacob, I'm so sorry," Bella was stumbling out apologies as her temper diminished and she realized what she'd done.

Eleanor glared at the new vampire- the former love of Jacob's life. "You don't get to talk to him."

Jacob sat up, holding his shoulder. "El, it's okay. I'm fine, really."

Eleanor's narrowed eyes turned on him. "You're not fine. Even I can tell it's dislocated. Maybe worse."

Feeling one another's pain, even as slight as it was, through the imprint they shared didn't help things. That was when Jasper figured it out. He had a hard time reading Eleanor's feelings because she often felt Jacob's as well, even ever so slightly. Renesmee was different and he chalked that up to her being half vampire. None of it explained the strange connection he felt to her, though.

"Bella," Alice said in a warning tone.

Bella was staring at Eleanor, her eyes dark with hunger. She took half a step forward before her nose scrunched up in disgust. Emmett laughed. "Not so appetizing when the food smells like wet dog, huh?"

"Emmett!" Esme scolded.

"It's true," he muttered. Esme hit him in the back of the head and he rolled his eyes. "Sorry, Ella."

Eleanor paid no mind to the banter. She just wanted to help Jacob before his accelerated healing kicked in. She looked up with a small, grateful smile when Carlisle appeared next to her. "Talk with him. This won't be pleasant and it may distract him."

Eleanor took Jacob's good hand and smiled softly at him. "Remember our first date? We went to the diner in Forks. It wasn't fancy or anything, but I loved it. I think it's my favorite memory of us. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that we went shopping for snacks after that, and when we sat in your car you ate practically everything. I didn't realize then how much you eat. But then we just sat and talked-"

Jacob yelled out in pain as Carlisle repositioned his shoulder. Eleanor winced as it cut at her heart and looked down at their hands. Jacob had unconsciously squeezed her fingers in his pain. She knew they weren't broken, but there was a possibility they would bruise later.