Why did it have to be him? ~ Chapter 25

Quick thing before the chapter, what could this be? 🤔

12 chapters til the finale. Are you ready?
Anyways on with the story.

Aphmau's POV (It's been 5 years so the twins are 10)

Alexis began preschool last week, Andrew and Alina have asked and begged to walk home with each other instead of me picking them up after school and after a weeks of begging I finally agreed. It was a big step, letting them go on their own, but I trusted them to be safe and responsible. Was that a bad decision though? I shook the thought from my mind as I looked at the time on my watch. School ended an hour ago, where are the kids? I began slicing a carrot for dinner when I heard my phone ringing. I set the knife down and picked up the phone.
"Mrs. Lycan?" an unfamiliar voice said through the phone.
"This is she... Is everything alright?" Panic began to rise in my voice as they continued.
"It's your son, Andrew Lycan? His sister told me to call you. They're both in the emergency room." He said. My heart sank. I hung up the phone and grabbed my keys, calling Aaron. I tried to calm down, taking deep breaths as I drove to the hospital.
"Hello?" Aaron's melodious voice soothed me as soon as I heard it. "Aph is everything alright."I tried to choke back the sobs as I drove.
"It's Alina and Andrew.." I cried, attempting to wipe the tears while driving. I heard a soft gasp through the phone. "They're in the ER."
"Aph, it'll be okay." He tried to soothe me through the phone but failed. But it won't. Nothing can ever be okay. "I'll be at the hospital in 5 minutes, I'll see you there. Stay safe my love." He hung up so I could focus. I pulled up in front of the hospital, quickly got out and locked my car. I ran in, searching for a doctor who would tell me what in the actual hell is going on.
"Mrs. Lycan?" A voice called out, I turned quickly to see a doctor. I made my way over quickly. "Alina wasn't hit so she only suffered minor scratches and slight bruising from the fall. Andrew, unfortunately..." He trailed off, unknowing of how to say it right. A million questions ran through my mind but all I wanted was for my babies to be okay.
"No. He can't be..." I fell to the floor crying. I felt arms wrap around me and instantly felt his scent fill my surroundings. "A-Aaron.." I choked out.
"Shh... Shh.. Aph it's okay." He murmured into my ear, picking me up swiftly. I looked up at his face, I could see tears rolling down his cheeks. He carried me into a room where I saw Alina sitting on a bed.
"M-mom I'm sorry!" She cried out, tears running down her face. "I-I wasn't paying a-attention to the r-road a-a-and he pushed me out of the way a-and he got hit i-instead." She let out a sob. "It's all my fault!" I slowly got out of Aaron's arms and wrapped my arms around my sobbing daughter.
"Shh... Alina... It's not your fault." I cooed as I smoothed her hair. "It's no-one's fault... You know he'd be crying like this if you had gotten hurt instead of him."
"This is more than 'being hurt' mom! My twin brother is DEAD because of me." She pulled away angrily. She's just mad Aph, don't let her words get to you. Deep breaths. Aaron wrapped his arms around me once more and pulled me into his chest. I wiped the tears from my face, looking up to his face. Tears streaming down his cheeks and dropping off his chin into my hair. I turned around and wiped his tears away and hugging him. A gentle knock was heard at the door.
"Would you like to say goodbye?" The doctor asked. Aaron and I looked at each other and shook our head.
"We... can't. Alina?" Aaron said. Alina nodded and followed the doctor.
"We'll need to keep an eye on her." Aaron said sternly.
"Alright Aaron." I said, smiling slightly. "It's going to be alright... this will be hard but we'll make it through it." He just held me tighter and rested his head in the crook of my neck. He shook as he let out small sobs. I hummed a familiar song, eternity. (Pretty sure that's the song Aaron played on guitar for Aph in mss5 and pdh). His sobs slowed as he still held me. His breaths went from short and shallow to moderate. His breathing slowed more and soon enough he'd fallen asleep while standing. I sighed and walked us over to a wheel chair in the room. I set him in it and wheeled him out to my car. Alina followed closely behind us.
"You're not going to see Andrew before you leave?" Alina asked, beginning to cry again. I shook my head.
"I can't bear to see my child that way, you'll understand when you have children one day." I responded swiftly, wiping a tear away and attempting to get Aaron into the seat. After I succeeded I buckled him in then I brought the chair back inside and locked eyes with a man across the ER. My father. He started making his way over so I made a run for it. Alina was thankfully buckled up so I quickly put the key in the engine and drove away. While getting away I put my seat belt on.
"Mom? What happened?" Alina piped up quietly.
"I saw grandpa... he's a very violent man Alina, you should stay away from him." I pulled to a stop in front of the daycare. "Stay here I need to grab Alexis." After I signed her out I walked back with Alexis in my arms, only to see my father talking through the car window to Aaron who seemed very unhappy with being awake. I ran back inside with Alexis but peeked out the window. I saw him walking towards the building angrily so I asked the receptionist if I could hide briefly. I sat below the desk and heard a brief but aggressive exchange before the doors shut again. I looked back out and my dad was gone. What a dramatic day... I carried Alexis out to the car and buckled her up. I sat in the drivers seat and began driving home.
My heart is broken, a fourth of it is gone now.