Visitors

Three days into captivity, and my stubborn resolve started to peter out. The fairy-tale tower was a prison, and the jailer was my father. After refusing to eat with him the first day, he brought trays to my room at mealtimes. Often, they were sent back to the kitchen untouched, my taste for food gone with my trust. Besides, how did I know they hadn't poisoned it in some attempt to make me docile until my birthday? Only when hunger made me sick did I pick at the portions, praying I wouldn't pay for weakness.

I was allowed outside, but only if Dylan accompanied me. I'd rather end up on a sushi plate-something all too likely considering my situation- than spend time with him. He offered to invite Tara or Al over, but I refused. Tara didn't want to see me anymore than I wanted to see her right now, and chances were Al didn't look upon me too kindly either.

Siobhan showed up but didn't stay long. I crept down the stairs, hoping to overhear something useful, but they spoke in whispers. Urgent whispers but inaudible all the same. When Dylan walked her to the front door, I remained on the stairs in plain sight. He didn't seem surprised to find me watching.

"Did you need something?"

The door snicked shut behind him. Through the frosted sidelights, I could see Siobhan's retreating form, and I was struck with a sudden longing to see Kieran. I'd not seen him since the day of my failed escape. He wasn't forgiven, not really, but in a strange, twisted way, I trusted him more than most on the Island.

"Just curious who our visitor was."

Dylan's expression remained bland. "Don't you want to do something today? You've not been outside for awhile."

"Can I go by myself?"

"Isla," he sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Must you make this so difficult? You've got almost two months before you turn seventeen. They don't have to be unpleasant."

"You're right," I said, tapping my chin as if I was truly considering his words. "I should spend the next two months enjoying life."

"Exactly." He snatched his coat from the hook by the door. "Let's go into town. Grab a bite to eat. Mrs. Rose would love to see you."

"I would rather eat rocks."

"What the hell," he shouted, kicking the front door.

My bottom lip trembled, tears threatening to spring forward. This was my father. The man who kissed bumps and bruises, who told me to always get back up after falling. No matter what lies I told myself- I hated him, he was a monster- I couldn't erase the good times. This was killing me.

"What the hell, Dad?" I emphasized the last part, earning the flinch I sought. "You're not stupid. You're one of the smartest people I know so why would you think I'd just up and decide to be okay with all of this? Like I'm Gretel getting fattened up to eat?"

"Yer making this far worse than it has to be. Yer life will not be over when you lose yer legs. There's a whole world in the ocean. Cities. Civilizations. It's just another move, like going from Mississippi to here."

"It's easy to say that when you'll have access to both worlds."

"Look," he said, sounding desperate, "I promise we will do everything we can to undo the magic, but for now, we've lost this battle."

"It isn't fair," I shouted, the tears falling freely now. "I never even had a chance to fight."

"Baby-"

Three, sharp knocks sounded on the door, and Dylan stopped speaking to open it. My heart flipped- or maybe wobbled is a better description- when I saw Kieran's lanky form leaning against the frame. He never looked at my father, his hazel gaze zeroing in on me.