Promises

Dylan didn't say anything about Molly's absence the next morning, but I noticed the tightness in his jaw and around his eyes as he informed me we'd have to make do with cereal for breakfast. Humming, I poured a bowl full and shoved a spoonful of sugary goodness into my mouth, smiling as I pulled the utensil out with an exaggerated popping sound.

"So good," I said, crunching down on the flakes while milk dribbled down my chin.

He arched an eyebrow. "You're in a good mood."

"Why wouldn't I be?" I asked, "you'd think I was being held prisoner or something."

"Isla."

"Dylan," I shot back.

Sighing, he took a drink of his coffee, but the sigh became a wince when the bitter brew touched his tongue. He'd never been able to make drinkable coffee. After Mama left, I'd become the designated coffee maker. Until Molly. 

I sure as hell wouldn't be resuming my daughterly duties now that our housekeeper was under lock and key. He would have to suffer or go into town to get a decent cup, and it gave me great pleasure to know that last night hadn't been a complete bust. Even if the only thing we got out of it was inconveniencing Dylan. And a very foolish plan. 

I dropped the spoon into my empty bowl, waiting until the clang of metal on porcelain stopped before speaking. "I've decided I want to have a party for my birthday."

"A party?"

"Yep. A very expensive, over the top masquerade party. Like the one Mama promised me for my sixteenth birthday."

"We could probably make that happen, though we should probably do it the day before."

"No."

"No?" He grunted the single syllable, his hands clenching into fists before flattening against the table's surface. "You know that the day of is going to be difficult."

"Yes, yes," I said, waving at the air as though I were waving away his concerns, "I understand there's the entire matter of my sacrifice, but we've got all day. You're already taking everything else away from me. You owe me a party on the actual day of my birth."

The tension in his jaw dissipated. It was like watching a string snap as his chin began to tremble. Tears glimmering in his eyes stirred up emotions I refused to acknowledge, and I looked away from the man who fathered me and out the dining room window.

"Fine. I'll talk to Lorelei, and we'll see what works. From my understanding, it has to happen just before midnight. Should be plenty of time to have a party, right?"

I jumped up from the table and grabbed my book bag. "I just need enough time to get plastered so I don't know what's going on."

"Isla!"

I slammed the door on his protests, a grin stretching from ear to ear when I spied Kieran waiting for me at the end of the driveway. Despite how things began between us, I was coming to realize Kieran was my rock. My fixed point. When everything around me was spinning, I could hold onto him, and the world would steady.

He leaned against the bike, his eyes trained on mine as I hurried to him. A few months ago, this would've been my father's worst nightmare. A boy in a leather jacket with a motorcycle. It made my grin widen, and Kieran's smile grew in response. Then it hit me- my father's nightmare would include one more thing.

Hoping Dylan was watching from the window, I threw my arms around Kieran's neck and brought his lips down on mine, but the response I received wasn't the one I expected. Our mouths were locked together, but there was no heat or movement. It was like kissing a stone statue.