A Ride

All night I tossed and turned, mulling over Agnes' idea. The theory was sound. If anyone knew her way around a curse, it was a centuries old sea witch. But it seemed so simple. Well, the idea was simple. The execution was going to be anything but.

By the time the first rays of sunlight speared the horizon, I was out of bed and dressed for a day at school. The uniform I'd hated so much that first day now felt like a pair of wings- my ticket to another day out from under this roof and away from my father. It didn't matter that school wouldn't be much better. Most of the students were going to stare- either out of curiosity or watchfulness. No movement on my part would go unnoticed.

Dylan was sitting in his usual spot in the dining room. His handsome face was lit up by the morning light pouring through the window. Through glass still wet with dew, I saw a world of golden glory, just waking up to a rare day of clear skies and light breezes. How this Island loved to mock me.

"I'm so glad you're coming around, honey," Dylan said, setting his coffee mug on the table and eyeing me appreciatively as I snagged a fresh scone.

"The ever elusive Molly's handiwork no doubt?" I asked as I bit into the warm, dense baked good. Dylan offered up a jar of clotted cream, and I slathered it on. I might dislike the man, but I wouldn't turn down clotted cream.

"Maybe one day you'll meet her," he said with a wink.

He must think my decision to resume a somewhat normal schedule meant I'd forgiven him. And who was to blame him? Most of our fights never persisted beyond a few days. Most of our fights didn't revolve around turning into a fish for the rest of my life, either.

"If she exists. Look, I've got to go, but I wanted to ask you if my phone had a data plan. I tried to get on the internet earlier."

"Oh," Dylan said, dropping his gaze, "no. We thought it best to not offer that sort of temptation."

"Ah, right. Because I might message someone and tell them all about how I'm being held hostage until my seventeenth birthday. Mel would really love the bit about becoming a mermaid. She always wanted to be one when we were kids."

"Isla."

"I'm going."

"Remember to text."

"Of course." I mock saluted before barreling out the door.

Lungs expanded with sweet air, and I broke into a run. Let Dylan think I was up to something. I just needed to put this house behind me. The low rumble of an engine reached my ears, and by the time I made it to the end of the drive, the vehicle was in view- its driver a welcome sight.

"Well, well, well," I said, putting my hands on my hips as Kieran pulled to a stop in front of me. He flipped the visor on his helmet and winked. I just knew he was smirking too.

"Need a ride? I'm supposed to be picking up my-my friend, but she might not mind when I tell her someone so beautiful was in obvious distress."

"Oh," I said, putting my hand over my chest and widening my eyes, "sounds like you have a good friend. Sure, I'll take a ride. Beats walking all the way to school."

He tossed me a a helmet and shifted forward so I could slide on the seat behind him. Without prompting, I tightened my arms around him, splaying my fingers over his broad chest rather than locking them together. Beneath my hands, his heart sped up.

"When you said you were picking me up, I didn't imagine it would be on a bike. I thought you said your mom drove a car."

"She does," he answered, revving the engine, "but I've been restoring this for some time now. Figured it would be more practical for navigating the town later today."