Chapter 1 (Clay)

( Clay's POV )

Clay stood on the rock edge, his brothers and sisters standing right behind him. He was their bigwings. Their Hero. Their protector.

Yet he felt like a bunny rabbit.

He shivered from head to tail, and looked at the growing crowd below him, all facing the Sandwing General. The Sandwing had pale yellow all over his body, but he had a black tip at the end of his tail, following onto the poisonous barb. The general leaned to another Sandwing, saying something that made the other dragon laugh. Among the brown on brown of Mudwings, he saw a glimpse of the pale yellow of Sandwings and dark red of Skywings.

Umber crept forward and looked at Clay with big eyes. "What if one of us... You know..." He trailed off, looking at the swarm below them. Clay pulled a weed out of the ground and begun to tear it up.

"I dont know, Umber. I hope nothing happens." He replied.

Crane crept up and brushed her wings with Clay's, grinning. "You know nothing will happen, everything will be fine." She twined her tail with Clay's. Clay felt glad his sister was with him on their first battle. She had to be the most enthusiastic of their troop, her brown-orange scales glinting as if she washed them in water instead of Mud. The waterfall nearby hissed at them.

He scraped his claws on the rock, looking up with a worried expression. Pheasant walked up to them with a shy smile. "Crane is always right," He said, looking at Clay. "You know that." He smiled, and then fell silent as a hush swept over all the dragons below and above him. A few of the Skywings did a hiss, as a whitish blue walked over the cliff. Icewings locked eyes with them and Clay felt a shiver down his spine.

It suddenly didn't feel such as warm anymore.

Reed walked up, rubbing his talons together. Clay couldn't see his expression, his head was facing downwards.

The Sandwing general flapped up and forward, flying to another Sandwing on the other side near the Icewings. The Sandwings exchanged a few words.

And then it was chaos.

The Icewings lurched forward, breathing frostbreath. Most of it hit the Sandwing general, and he howled in pain. A deep orange Skywing held his spear in the air and yelled, "ATTACK!" The whole squadron of dragons ran forward, brandishing whatever weapon they had. Clay checked behind him; the last faced he would maybe see. Sora. Reed. Umber. Pheasant. Marsh... And Crane. He sighed, and leapt forward with a whoosh

There he was, flying bravely into battle.

And then someone flew into him.

Clay roared as the two dragons were sent spiralling down, and the Icewing send a blast of Frostbreath at him, it just skimming his horns. Clay Inhaled and exhaled a burst of flame, it engulfing the Icewings face. The Icewing screamed and Clay managed to push him off, the Icewing managing to realise what was going to happen before landing with a bone chilling crack on one of the rocks, his neck twisted in a wrong position. Clay shivered and turned his head back to the battle.

He wished he didn't come.

The battle ground was littered with white and red blood, as well as many corpses. He growled and charged at the nearest Icewing. The Icewing snarled and tried to bite his neck. He catapulted off her, before the icewing charged into him again. 

They were a mass of snarls and roars as they tumbled down, towards the ground. He ignited the flame within him, (which was hard because of the Icewing's coldness.) and fired a blast of fire straight into her wing. The female Icewing yelped and twitched her mouth before shooting a blast of frost at his face.

He dodged it, before realising Crane was right behind him...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ooooo cliffhanger! Oof sorry for the late update. I was so took up in homework i forgot about this. Well, here it is! Hope you like it! :P

-Jone