II

Chapter Two

Daniel Rodd

The day began as normal as days ran in Paelakia for a palace guard. 

Danny stumbled from his chambers at precisely five a.m.- not a second too soon, not a second too late. He was to arrive in the courtyard for send-off on time, seven in the morning sharp, as always. Primed and punctual, bright-eyed with no traces of sleep, to assume his position on the early morning kingdom patrol squad. It was an essential part of his routine, always making sure that things ran smoothly as to give the Court the best image of himself at all times. You never knew when the King would be watching. Strive for perfection and set an example for all, that was his personal motto.

Daniel Rodd was an easy face to spot in a crowd- even without the heavy metallic armour that had the royal insignia engraved just above the right breastplate. (Though some might argue that was the best hint for finding him in the town centre. He lived in the suit like it was his only pair of clothes. Loyalty, and all that.) So when he proudly paraded down the backstreets and some of the sketchier alleyways of Paelakia, the first thing the perpetrator saw was his tall, lean figure and wild head of dark hair running at them with weapons raised- probably yelling, probably appearing very, very threateningly. 

Today was no different. Danny found himself doing the same normal routinely boring route as he always did. It took him down the castle steps towards the main square, and out and around the marketplace. He loved his job, sure, but repeating the same march day in and day out was insanely tedious. He needed a change of pace- a promotion!  He'd managed to impress his commanding officers year in and year out. The only one standing in his way was the king. He was only one more favourable arrest from turning the monarchy's attention onto himself. And then? The cat would be in the bag, no sweat. 

So today would be Daniel's lucky day. He swore it. No more wasting time, no more fooling around. It had to be today. 

Logan Cutrer

Logan, however, did not rise for his duties long before the sun as others might. Why wake up early for a job that was already being filled? A patrol that required one guard most assuredly did not need more  than that. 

He would clamber from his chambers around noon, fitting his metal gauntlets to his arms just in time to be marked in attendance- cutting it close- but that was to be expected of someone of his nature. Not that he'd ever been late, but the knight certainly had never been early. Not a day in his life. 

Assigned to the lunch-time patrol, there was no reason to get out of bed at god-awful times like five or six. What sane person signed up to be outed so early? Before the sun? That could be classified as night, for Pete's sake, and it was entirely too unnecessary for Logan to be bothered with it. So he didn't. 

Instead, he stood in the castle courtyard at noon, just as the world began to drowsily come to life, sounds and smells of lunch being made, children and dogs playing in the streets, maids singing their work songs- awaiting the morning patrol's return so that he and his squad could take its place.

* This is a short chapter to introduce the two characters! Next chapter will be spicy and full of action ;)