VIII

"Listen to the man in the liquor store

Yelling "anybody want a drink before the war?" 

-Sinead O'Connor

Logan Cutrer

It was then on the walk back to the throne room that Brandon confided in Logan. He told him of the fear of losing the only thing he had- his kingdom. The thievery of the iPhone X was a harsh realization for that truth. Not all things were permanent. Brandon then commended Logan on his bravery in reclaiming the relic and confronting Jaleel. That, and he defended his king's honour in each circumstance.

Logan insisted that it was the right thing to do, but the king would have none of his humility.

Brandon told him that he was in need of an advisor at this time. Now, more than ever. The king was at a loss. He had no idea where to turn, what to do now that his kingdom was as vulnerable as a freshly opened wound. And there was a proposition. Logan was offered that position- advisor, commander, friend- in exchange for his service. 

What could the young knight do but say yes?

Now it was later in the day. They'd met with the knight Daniel, and Logan had given him his new assignment at dinner- after he'd stormed from the throne room. It was begrudgingly taken, that much Logan was sure of. But it was taken nonetheless. The entire day, as it wound down and dusk soon fell, had left Logan feeling nothing but numb with an underlying feeling of static. 

This was the calm before the storm, and the lights that lingered in the homes of the kingdom's citizens just before midnight, flickering out one by one, only solidified that fact.

Daniel Rodd

Daniel spent his night with his boots stuck to damp stone floors. A jail, they called it.

 A dungeon, more like. 

He had never spent much time down here as a recruit- seeing it, or rather, smelling it, up close, was something a mother would tell her child to scare them into behaving. It was that bad. He was so graciously stuck with guard duty, and was, in turn, exposed to the prisoner's incessant talking. 

The first hour went by with silence. Perhaps he had gone to sleep. Danny didn't care enough to check. And then it began. 

There was a stirring of movement inside the cell, and then a cough.

And then, a voice.

"You come back to hear more? I've got information."

Information? Well, perhaps that would be useful. If he could come up with something better to pass the time- or get him out of this situation- well, he'd take a chance if one was presented, and here it was being given to him on a silver platter.

They'd talked until Danny's shift was up. Or rather, Jaleel (as he learned that's what the thief's name was), talked about the journey he'd made to Paelakia and the people he met. Most importantly, the witch he came into contact with. Danny learned that the woman lived not too far away from the kingdom itself- just outside a place called Jacsonvyl and that Jaleel hailed from even farther north. 

When the night was over, Danny made his way back to his own chambers, head filled with thoughts of a witch and a dangerous plan. 

The following week progressed the same. Each day, Danny would go to the jail cell and stand guard. He would deliver breakfast, lunch, and dinner to Jaleel as well. This meant that they were in constant company, each seeking the grounding voice of another person, resulting in long, frequent talks.

After the second week, an idea was dully formed. Jaleel had taken notice of Logan's sudden authority- brought to his attention by a seething Daniel.  They'd spoken, this time, in hushed voices, over how unfair the decision was, how irresponsible, and how Danny would be a much better fit. 

Then it was suggested; why not take it? 

The iPhone X was an easy target, that much was sure. And why would you pass up such a grand opportunity? 

"They won't suspect a thing, one of their own? And while you're at it, why not overthrow the kingdom itself? You want power? Go get it."  

It was the perfect plan. 

Danny would use his status to get into the king's chamber. Nobody would question it, as he was well-known and well-liked. Then, all he had to do was take the device- and use it. Though that wouldn't be a problem.

"And don't forget the part where you break me out of here-" Jaleel piped up, rattling the bars of the cell for effect.

"Don't worry about it, everything will go as planned. Starting tomorrow."

"Yeah," Jaleel said, "Starting tomorrow."