V

"Now, a lot can happen behind closed doors; that's for sure, brother, that's a fact. But a lot can happen on the factory floor when the foreman turns his back."  Anais Mitchell

Logan Cutrer

Upon entering the king's chambers, he was greeted with the grim scene of the king, Brandon, standing at his window, hands folded behind his back. He was illuminated only by the mid-day sun, light pooling around his shoulders and dripping from the windowsill in long, golden tendrils- reaching out for solace on the cold stone floor.

Logan paused, unsure if he was welcome, for the king seemed to be deep in thought, his head bent, fingers resting against his chin. 

And then- Brandon raised his head, turning halfway to glance at Logan, lips pursed. In the low light, he looked contemplative.

"The iPhone X, you have it?"

The king's voice stirred Logan into action and he nodded, crossing the room with renewed purpose- holding out the small item, carefully laid in his palms, for Brandon to retrieve. 

Logan glanced up, he head bowed with respect; "Yes, your highness, we also apprehended the criminal, it's all been taken care of."

The iPhone X was taken from Logan's hand and tucked into Brandon's pocket, the king's hand lingered over it for a moment, as if it would disappear if he moved too fast, before dropping back down to his side.

Brandon inclined his head, then turned back to glance out his window, his back turned on Logan. He clasped his hands behind him and sighed. 

"What am I going to do now?"

"Sir?"

The king exhaled again, sharp this time as if he'd taken his last breath. 

"We're a target now. If one man could succeed, what stops others from trying? Logan, is it? What information do you have on the thief as of right now?"

Logan hesitated- and then bowed his head, his eyes coming to rest solidly on the floor at his feet- "None, sir. I mean- we're working diligently, but the guy keeps babbling on about some lady making him do it, and how he's innocent." 

He managed to look up and catch a glimpse of the king's unimpressed expression before continuing. 

"Which I think is complete nonsense, but the others and I are working hard to get answers by any means necessary. I was going to visit the cells after this meeting, if-"

He paused, and Brandon raised a brow.

"Well, you're more than welcome to come and see him for yourself, sir. But I would like to come with you if that's all right." It was a bold move, but Logan was confident now. As he'd talked, Brandon's expression had lifted, become lighter, less weary. He looked years younger, now framed by the golden light of the afternoon- and he smiled.

"Yeah, let's give this thief a visit, shall we?" The king said, sweeping his arms out around him, "Let's show him our famous Paelakia hospitality- and get some god damned answers."

;; I hope ya'll are ready for the next chapter! It's gonna get spicy ;) Let's all bow our heads and pray for our mans Jaleel