Chapter 3

As always in the early mornings in Moonacre Valley, it was quiet. I had gotten up even earlier than usual, feeding and grooming Necia, she deserved the extra attention after me practically ignoring her. After feeding some of the other horses, I wandered back to the house, breakfast couldn't be much later. I didn't know I had been in the stables so long as I heard footsteps from upstairs. As I was walking, seeing who was awake, I bumped into Marmaduke. 

I gave him a smile, "good morning."

"Good Morning, little Angel" he greeted me his smile wider than usual, a tray of cookies and a large glass of milk in his hands. 

"I was just bringing this up to the princess" he explained happily. 

"So she is the princess then?" I asked him with interest. 

He nodded his head rapidly. 

"I could take these up if you wish" I offered him. He handed them over to me, more than happy to be able to return to his kitchen. 

"I shall see you later my dear" he called as he trotted off back to the kitchen. But suddenly he appeared at my side once more, with all the magic that was in the Valley, I would still never truly understand him. 

"I think its time we take out... Her."

I knew straight away what it was. 

"Shall you do it or shall I?" I asked him. "I'll do it now, you run along, you have a busy day," he said and then headed in another direction, one that I saw was also the way to the locked room with the strange, sun-shaped keyhole.

I wandered up to Maria's room. It was quiet and there was no sound of movement. I carefully opened her door just a crack and saw Maria still fast asleep in her bed. I smiled to myself and then stepped inside. After placing the tray on one of her bedside tables, I then walked over and looked out the window. The room had a gorgeous view of the forest, just like mine, only mine was a little closer. 

I was startled when I heard a noise coming from the other side of the room. I spun around to see who the intruder was and was shocked to see LoveDay. It had been so long since I had seen her and this sudden appearance just added to my surprise. She was as beautiful as ever. The calming aura that seemed to surround her was just as I remembered it.

I let out a sigh of relief that it was only her, which she obviously did not hear. She had a long gorgeous dress in her hands and walked over and placed it on the chair next to the door. Loveday must have also been aware, just like the rest of the De Noir clan of Maria's arrival. 

She spun on the spot and staggered back a step in surprise, finally laying her eyes upon me, not realizing I had been there. She looked slightly saddened and guilty, and immediately I felt my own heart weep at the sight of her downcast expression. She looked so unsure of herself and it was so unlike her, she did not know I was aware of her being a De Noir all along and had accepted her even then. While she had hurt my father and for that I was upset, I knew that half the fault, if not more lay with my father. If she had only told the truth in the beginning maybe things would have been different; but then, there was also the possibility that my father would never have even given Loveday a chance at all. But it was the past, and this was the present. Nothing to be done. 

I hated seeing her in any way upset, so dashing quietly across the room, in hopes of not waking the still peaceful Maria, I pulled her into a hug. She wrapped her arms around me in return and gave a small laugh of joy, squeezing me tight. 

It seemed Maria was a heavy sleeper. 

It looked like she had opened a secret passage in the fireplace, one even I was unaware of. Taking my hand LoveDay brought me through the passage and down a set of stairs until we reached the outside of the house. How had I not known this was here? Was there one similar in my own tower?