Chapter 4

Everything was quiet, as per usual, throughout the manor. Marmaduke of course was just as cheerful as ever if not more, now that both Maria and I were here. I had bumped into him again and once again offered to take Maria her morning cookies and milk. The cookies even seemed to be better than usual.

I placed them on her desk and then noticed another dress layed out this time on the end of Maria's bed. LoveDay appeared to have struck again. I didn't stay long and decided to leave before Maria woke up. I stepped out of her room and couldn't help but smile at the sight before my eyes. A large and beautiful portrait of the Moon Princess was placed on the wall. A small but awed voice came from beside me, "it is wonderful to see this up again" said Marmaduke. My smile grew, "it most certainly is." He was smiling up at me, I returned it. I looked back to the painting but when I went back to look at the small man, he was gone. I shuck my head and continued on down the stairs and through the halls.

I saw a flash of gold and red, almost like flames out of the corner of my eye. I spun quickly, the skirt of my light pink dress swishing as I did. I spared a glance at my ruby engraved ring and placed two of my fingers on the sun charm dangling from my neck. A small warmth traveled through my fingers and an image of that door that would not open came into my mind. I decided to investigate and headed off towards where I saw the flash of colour which so happened to be in the direction of that corridor which held the locked door.

The hallway seemed to be even more in disrepair then before. It was saddening to see all the cracks and rotting. The hallway must have once been so beautiful but it seemed as though this corridor was dying. It was fading, by what, it was easy to see. Depression. Whoever had been in that room must have had a great sadness in their life and their past emotion was taking its toll. I felt the sadness go through me as though my own. 

Then light erupted around the room as though lightning just struck. I was stunned for several moments, my vision taken over by a red and white light. I rubbed my eyes and blinked several times, wiping away some escaped tears. The corridor seemed to be fully revived but how could that be possible. It was like it was before the curse started taking effect. Walking further, I saw golden swirls and patterns dancing across the stone walls. I followed the twisting golden vines painted on the walls, letting my fingers run across them, feeling a strange type of warmth as though it were actual fire. It was as though I had no control of my own feet, I tried to stop but I continued my feet carrying me on down the hall.

I was getting closer to the door until it was in perfect view. I smiled at the spectacular view. I had thought it looked amazing before, here it was magical. It seemed to be glowing. I smiled as I stepped up to it and let my finger tips graze across the wood. It seemed so beautiful, so familiar. Then the gorgeous, new walls seemed to fade away back to their cracked and rotted ones. A frown made its way back onto my face. I looked around me watching as each golden swirl disappeared with what seemed like time. It was so upsetting to see such a beautiful place go to waste. I didn't understand, how could I have never found this place before.

I turned back to the door. I looked down at the strange, sun shaped key hole. I let my head fall to the side, thinking of what could fit. I outstretched my hand and touched the lock but a burning sensation ran up my arm all the way up to my neck and then disappeared as though it had never been there. I stumbled back a bit at the shock of it. I looked at it in surprise and curiosity. I went forward again and touched it again, this time the sensation wasn't as strong as I was ready but I could still feel it. It felt rather strong around my neck. I let my hand travel up to my neck, but it didn't meet the flesh of my throat. It met the choker necklace I had around my neck. I looked down at the sun charm sharply and then to the lock. 

'It couldn't be, could it?' I wondered. I placed my hand around the sun charm and then I felt a slight heaviness in my palm. Taking my hand away, I saw the sun charm had broken away from the necklace and was in my palm. I felt the burning sensation growing as I brought the key closer.