Chapter 27 "Can't Imagine Being Anywhere Else"

Casey watches in horror as the gust of wind slams Shaylynn into the tree knocking her unconscious.
"BRING IT DOWN!" Casey yells at the operator as he and Severide run over getting under the forks.
The operator brings down the forks slowly as Casey and Severide get underneath Shaylynn and Brett radios for another ambulance.
As soon as she's within reach, they grab onto her.
Alicia undoes the rope and lets it fall, it landing on the ground, as the operator brings the forks down enough to where she can jump off of them.
Brett and Foster take the backboard that has the boy on it off the forks as Alicia rushes over to check on Shaylynn until the other ambulance gets there.
Casey sits down on the ground, then Severide lays Shaylynn down on his lap.
Taking her head, Casey lays it against his chest with his hand behind her head. He feels something weird, pulls his hand out from her hair to see blood on his fingers and palm.
He looks up at Alicia, she sees his hand and rushes over to the ambulance to get a towel.
Rushing back she hands the towel to Casey as the other ambulance pulls up.
He puts his arm under Shaylynn's legs and goes to stand up, Severide grabbing onto one of his arms to help.
Once Casey's standing he rushes over to the ambulance as the Paramedics are taking out the gurney.
He lays Shaylynn down on it, "She has a head wound," Casey tells them.
"Alright! We have it from here!" one of the Paramedics tells him.
"I'm coming with you!" Casey tells them as they put the gurney in the ambulance.
"And you are?" one of them asks him.
"Her husband!" Casey tells them.
One of the Paramedics looks at Boden who nods to him, "Alright! Let's go!" he tells Casey as he gets up in the ambulance.
Casey follows him, the other Paramedic closes the doors.
He rushes to the cab, gets in, and speeds away.

~~~~~~~~~

Shaylynn's admitted.
Everyone from the Firehouse and the Intelligence Unit is in the waiting room.
A doctor comes walking out with Dr. Halstead walking with him.
Casey looks up to see Dr. Halstead pointing at him and Hank then waves them over.
They stand up and walk over to the doctors.
"This is Matt Casey her husband and Hank Voight her father," Dr. Halstead tells the other doctor.
"Gentleman, I'm Dr. Runner. I'm a Neurologist. The doctor that was looking over Shaylynn called me in when something strange happened," he tells Casey and Hank.
Casey and Hank look at each other, "What do you mean something strange happened?" Casey asks Dr. Runner.
"When the other doctor was looking over your wife, he asked her if she wanted him to get her husband. Well, she told him that she doesn't have a husband but has a boyfriend. When the doctor asked her what her boyfriend's name was she said Jay Halstead," Dr. Runner tells them.
Casey gets a very depressed look on his face as he looks at Dr. Halstead.
"I was called up along with Dr. Runner when the other doctor heard the last name," Dr. Halstead says.
"So what happened to her?" Casey asks.
"For a lack of a better term, some wires have gotten crossed when she hit the tree to make it so she's lost some of her memory," Dr. Runner says as Dr. Halstead waves over his brother.
Halstead walks over and stands by his brother, "What's up?" he asks.
"Something's happened to Shaylynn," Dr. Halstead tells him.
Halstead looks at his brother worried then looks at Casey to see the depressed look on his face.
"What happened?" Halstead asks.
"With Shaylynn having her head slammed into the tree she thinks you two are still dating," Dr. Halstead tells him.
Halstead looks at his brother shocked. Now he knows why Casey looks so depressed.
"We were wondering if you would go back and try to talk to her," Dr. Runner says to Halstead.
"Sure," Halstead says.
Dr. Halstead, Dr. Runner, and Halstead start walking back leaving Hank wondering if Shaylynn is going to be alright and Casey wondering if she'll ever remember him.
Halstead stops and turns around to look at Casey, "Matt!" he says.
Casey looks and sees Halstead waving him to come with them.
He then looks at Hank, "Go," he tells him.
Casey quickly starts walking down the hallway toward them.

Dr. Runner knocks on Shaylynn's door, "Come in," he hears.
He opens the door and walks in followed by Dr. Halstead, Halstead, and Casey.
"Jay," Shaylynn says smiling at him.
Halstead looks at both doctors, "Go over to her," Dr. Halstead says in a hushed tone.
Halstead walks over to Shaylynn's bedside, she waits for him to kiss her.
When he doesn't, she gives him an odd look, "You're not going to kiss me?" she asks him.
Halstead looks back at Casey, Casey just stares at him, "Shaylynn there's something I need to tell you," Halstead tells her.
"That there's a fire in the hospital?" she questions.
Halstead looks at her, "What?" he asks.
"Is that why you brought a Fireman with you?" she asks.
"No," Halstead tells her, "Shaylynn, that's Matt Casey. He's your husband."
Shaylynn looks at Casey then back to Halstead, "No! I would never marry another firefighter after Marshall! Why are you lying to me?!" she asks Halstead.
"I'm not lying. You're married to him and have twin girls," Halstead says.
Shaylynn gets a horrified look on her face, "NO! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!" she tells Halstead then looks at Casey, "GET OUT!" she shouts at him.
"Shaylynn, it's true!" Dr. Runner tells her as Dr. Halstead hurries out of the room.
"No! It can't be! I swore I would NEVER marry another Firefighter after Marshall died!" she tells Dr. Runner.
Dr. Halstead hurries back into the room with Hank and Alicia behind him.
Shaylynn looks over and sees Hank, "Dad, what's going on? They keep telling me I'm married to him!" she says pointing at Casey.
"You are," Hank tells her.
Shaylynn shakes her head 'no', "I can't be!" she says.
Alicia steps around Dr. Halstead and Hank, "Alicia? How are you here?" Shaylynn asks, "I just talked to you not too long ago and you were in Seattle."
"I've been in Chicago for quite some time," Alicia tells her, "What they're telling you is true," she says as she walks up to Shaylynn, "You and Jay broke up. Then you went undercover at Firehouse 51 and met Matt. Shaylynn, you fell in love with him, got married, and have beautiful twin girls."
Alicia looks back at Casey and waves for him to come up toward the bed.
Casey walks up and stands on the other side, "Show her some pictures," Alicia tells him.
He takes out his phone, finds his Gallery, and finds the album titled Family.
Opening it up, he touches on the first picture then hands Shaylynn his phone.
The first picture is of him, her, and the girls. It's overlaid over a picture of the house.
Shaylynn can't believe what she sees. She swipes to the next picture to see Casey holding one of the girls inside the house.

She looks at Casey with tears in her eyes, "I'm sorry!" she says, "I'm so sorry! I can't remember you and the girls!" she tells him then starts crying

Casey bends down and hugs her, "It's alright. I'm here and we'll get through this," he tells her.
She moves back from him, "You're going to stick around and help me?" she asks him.
"Yes, why wouldn't I?" Casey asks her, "You might not remember me but I remember you. I love you and can't imagine being anywhere else."
Shaylynn starts crying again, Casey puts his arms back around her and holds her tight. 

~~~~~~~~~~
The character Alicia belongs to ChloeOgradyXo