Chapter 10

We began walking home silently. I felt so embarrassed and ashamed that Noel had seen me in such a situation.

"How can they be so cruel?", Noel suddenly broke the suffocating silence. "So much hate..." He shook his head in distress and added, "You go through this everyday?"

I cleared my throat unnecessarily. "Not everday ", I said defensively, "There are weekends...and holidays...and vacations..."

"How long has this been going on?"

I cleared my throat again. "A year", I answered, "and five months."

Noel sighed. "They are ignorant."

I nodded. "Yes", I agreed,"It's not really their fault, you know. They have been brought up being taught that homosexuality is unnatural, so they are naturally homophobic. I just wish they would stop the bullying. It would make my life more easier...happier."

Noel looked at me with something like admiration in his blue-with-purple-specks eyes. "You're not like the other mortals I've seen", he said,"You do not hold hatred in your heart for your bullies. You forgive them."

I shrugged my shoulders in indifference. I didn't give much thought to his use of the word 'mortal'.

"I admire your strength too", he added,"The strength of tolerating their wrath." I gave a small smile in return.

As we were nearing home, I suddenly asked him out of the blue, "Do you like staying at our house? Are you feeling comfortable? Do you like us?"

Noel smiled and answered, "I admit that I find everything strange, but don't worry, I am always comfortable with anyone who shows kindness." Then after a pause, he added, "And I am very comfortable with you."

I don't know why, but his words made my heart flutter and I felt my cheeks go warm.

Maybe, I was beginning to have feelings for the weird, gorgeous man beside me...

Please do comment (nice ones) and vote! ♥