~Chapter 13~

Last Time
  ‘Don’t tell me to calm down! You did something that ruined two of my friendships without my permission!’ This was a little bit more of a reaction than I thought. I was getting nervous.

“I can explain-” I tried, desperately. 

‘No, no you can’t.’

“Deactivate,” she said. I glitched off. 

I hated this, absolutely hated this. I had no access to her mind, I had been shoved into the farthest corner of her mind. All I could do is watch the glowing blue screen slowly scroll through the Squip Database. Everything a Squip has to know is stored in the Squip Database, and yet, it didn’t have anything on my situation. ‘What do you do if your host doesn't trust you?’ It really seems like something that should be in here. But in these glowing blue words, I found no answers. I was so focused that I barely heard the quiet ping.

Switching the screen to the Direct Squip Messages, I looked towards the newest message. This was the first message that I had received from HQ, which I had assumed was because they were busy.   

#6723-HQ (Connected)

HQ: This is the New Jersey Squip Official Supervisor. Requesting a report.

#6723: This is Squip #6723, model 1.3. Request has been granted - Host is resisting removal of toxic friends and has chosen to deactivate be in a non-permanent fashion. 

I had to wait for a response, which was quite strange. SOS’s were known for their quick responses. I had to wonder why. ‘Maybe they realized that I lied,’ I wondered. That could have been it. Her friends weren’t exactly toxic, but they were close to it. I didn’t regret a thing. I did what had to be done.

HQ: Requesting a permanent shutdown to occur.

I heard my breath hitch. They couldn’t mean it. Of course, they didn’t. A nauseating wave of anxiety hit me. How cruel they were, to program me with emotions and then try to kill me. I supposed I had to follow their orders, however.  

#6723: Request has been granted, permanent shutdown will occur in 3 days.

#6723: This is Squip #6723, model 1.3, signing off after engagement. Permanent shutdown will occur in 2:23:59:59.

I felt…disheartened, to be honest. I had failed my wonderful Host. I had failed in my job, and now I was going to be forced to commit suicide. I contemplated what had gone wrong. ‘It all started with those girls. Those…those bitches! It’s their fault!’ I thought to myself. It didn’t matter. Now all there was to do was wait out the remaining 1 ½ hours before I was able to reactivate for the second time. I was going to tell her then.

       ---------------------Time Skip---------------------

    Time moved by slowly as I contemplated my situation. How could it have gotten so bad? Everything had been going so well and now…now I was there. My emotions were a buzz. I felt a familiar heaviness weigh me down. I felt useless, worthless…hopeless. ‘No doubt that (Y/N) will be happy with the news,’ I thought bitterly. But I still didn’t blame her. How could I? She did nothing wrong. She never did anything wrong. Someone as perfect as she deserves someone better than a reject- a mistake like me. 

  ‘Oh god, I wish my Squip where here, he would know what I should say. Oh, shit, what do I say?!’ Her voice echoed in my ‘ears.’ I could hear the desperation and fear in her voice. I shouldn’t have been able to hear her, but I did. It was a sign! A sign that I couldn’t ignore! She could have been in danger. I felt an unmistakable heaviness in my stomach. Dread. Worry. But I couldn’t panic again, that’s what had put me into this mess. I had to think logically. I had to get out of this corner of her mind to help.